Very close police car overtake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
No one on this thread has made a compelling case as to why the police driver could not have given you at least another 50cm clearance, preferably more.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Origamist said:
No one on this thread has made a compelling case as to why the police driver could not have given you at least another 50cm clearance, preferably more.
Is that because there isn't one? Do I get a prize?? :smile:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Another mate, GruB (some of you will remember him) said that's best, assuming he passes the attitude test, can always do the formal route if need be. LOL!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
No, you are stationary. The Police can see this and overtook accordingly.

+1...the police can clearly see that you have anticipated their presence (well done, for being aware and for communicatiing that to them so clearly) and drive close to you as they cannot assume oncomming traffic has the same awareness.

They drove exactley as they are trained.

nothing to report, I'm surprised you cant see this.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jonny, that really is p1ss poor. I'll offer you the same challenge I offered Ben. Put your family standing in the road exactly where I was, and you can drive past at 55cm clearance at 45mph. If you do not accept this for real, and allow us to video it, then you're talking b0ll0cks. And that's pretty contemptible, extremely disrespectful to my life.

Three separate policemen have said this was too close.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Jonny, that really is p1ss poor. I'll offer you the same challenge I offered Ben. Put your family standing in the road exactly where I was, and you can drive past at 55cm clearance at 45mph. If you do not accept this for real, and allow us to video it, then you're talking b0ll0cks. And that's pretty contemptible, extremely disrespectful to my life.

Three separate policemen have said this was too close.

calm down Mikey, its not p!ss poor and I dont want to accept your challange if its all the same to you, thanks.

Sure it was close, and sure it scared you as it would scare me (or my family if you insisted on staging some bizarre re-enactment.)

Thats not the point....read my reply again. When did I say it wasnt close?

I'm pretty sure I said it WAS close

but I am telling you why they drove close to you and not close to the middle.

Perhaps (looking at the lenght of posts, which i dont have time to read) you have been told by some that it was not close or something??...not by me

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good, well then stop talking utter rubbish. I found Ben's comments extremely offensive, and your one above was getting along the same lines. I'm glad you at least have the grace to admit it.

You haven't said why they drove so dangerously close to me, btw. There's no sane reason why they would do that. None of the circumstances would make that driving either good or acceptable to the man in the street, much less a trained driver. A trained driver is not trained to drive like that.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Good, well then stop talking utter rubbish. I found Ben's comments extremely offensive, and your one above was getting along the same lines. I'm glad you at least have the grace to admit it.

You haven't said why they drove so dangerously close to me, btw. There's no sane reason why they would do that. None of the circumstances would make that driving either good or acceptable to the man in the street, much less a trained driver. A trained driver is not trained to drive like that.

what?..how?...er...are we reading the same thing here?!!!;)

I can see that you are pretty worked up over this Mikey so best i dont try to pick apart your reply (genuinely, you are reading me wrong on this one)...all I can say is, yes it was close and clearly close enough to worry you (and most people i would assume). But I can see why they took it close (perhaps they just misjudged HOW close they were) as it would seem the safer of two evils.

Don't have time to read bens posts but am happy to take your word for it.

Now, relax.... (Proffers mug of tea)

dondare

Über Member
Good drivers don't leave no room for error (theirs or someone elses).
The pass was too close regardless of the circumstances or the skill of the driver.

Norm

I had a little cogitate on this one when I was out yesterday.

I stopped to take off my outer layer and I was noticeably more wobbly and less stable when stationary with one foot on the ground than I am when I'm riding. Now, I was on a "proper" (:tongue:) bike rather than a 'bent so the extra height would have amplified the instability but I'd still want at least as much room for a pass when stationary than when riding.

I also can't see any reason why the car didn't use all of the width of his own lane to make a safer pass on the bike. I think having a little word in the officer's ear might be a good thing, and maybe making him the offer of standing there whilst you drive past him at 45mph.

Top Bottom