Vibrant bike colours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
464BE81D-6321-4D23-826D-C4FFF7C3E41C.jpeg

93228ED1-F1A1-4C8B-9550-C3D6595A358D.jpeg

Raleigh knew how to paint a bike 30 years ago.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Two black, two Ti, one each of blue & gold (the latter two both 2nd-hand). I have to decide what colour the next one will be.

OP
OP
overmind

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Out of storage and all ready for the summer touring season ... Oh wait. :-(

IMG_20200401_181441.jpg

I prefer the colour scheme of my newer Triban mainly because it my 'commuter' (what ever a commute is :wacko: ) and to me it doesn't stand out as nickable or look too stand out dirty either. Of my painted bikes I do prefer a darker colour with a highlight to contrast it but more important is how it handles.

OP
OP
overmind

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Thanks - you can read about it here. It was a project done on a shoestring using bits and pieces; the stem was one I had lying about.

That's really cool. I like the way you were able to replace the 26" wheels with 700c.

I wonder if I could do the same on this bike. Somebody donated it to me because it was unrideable. I managed to do the following and now it rides perfectly.

- non-drive side crank hanging off, needed replacing. Wrong bolts had been used to secure it; replaced with correct bolt
- replaced pedal with some old 2nd-hand ones.
- added dust covers once cranks fixed
- full bottom bracket service, replaced bearings.
- serviced both wheel hubs
- removed, cleaned and serviced freewheel and drivetrain.
- saddle adjusted
- derailleur hanger missing screw/fixing to connect with frame (found spare in box of bits)
- trued/cleaned both wheels
- put talc on innertubes
- serviced brakes and gear inner cables
- re-indexed gears
- missing nibbles on end of several cables. Replaced where necessary

It now rides beautifully and makes a great rat-bike. I might do a DIY custom paint job on it (a la @betty swollocks) but just using masking tape and some cans of spray paint.

ratbike.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom