Video is lagging...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

borchgrevink

I have decent wifi, decent PC but still video lags a lot, especially in the evening it seems (CET time). It seems better during the daytime? Is this probably due to high server load or other things?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
try letting the video buffer (start the video then pause it for ten minutes) then try playing it see if it improves at all

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
I have decent wifi, decent PC but still video lags a lot, especially in the evening it seems (CET time). It seems better during the daytime? Is this probably due to high server load or other things?

It is likely that your Internet Service Provider is experiencing higher levels of contention during the evening, but also I have heard it said that ADSL slows down in the evening as an increase in RF noise coincides with the sun going down. No idea why that should be the case ...

WiFi is often responsible for variable performance with video streaming, I see that happen myself, even though I have a 802.11n/ac router directly above my lounge and 80Mbps fibre my Netflix often goes blurry if I use the wifi but is always crystal clear over Ethernet.

As an experiment try borrowing a pair of decent speed powerline adapters and try it over those. I find they work much more consistently for video streaming than wifi.

Geoff

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
The powerline solution worked for me. It also cured my intermitent disconnects over wifi.

The wifi issue may not be a problem with your own hard line internet / indoor network. It could be your neighbour or somebody very nearby with a high strength system knocking yours. Wifi is now becoming so omnipresent that the rf spectrum used for it is becoming congested. Currently most wifi is on the 2.5ghz band, if you can, move to the 5ghz band. It does not quite have the same range but there are less systems currently using it.

Longer term the powerline system works well, but will eventually suffer the same issues of contention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom