Video of Bollo-shaped dent in Volvo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

I didn't see that coming.

I've got a bruised knee and a sore jaw but I'm otherwise unharmed. The airnimal is a little more folded than its ever been before, I suspect a write-off.

This is part of the NCN 23 through Basingstoke, and I'm on my way to the Station from work. Its about 2:40 in the afternoon and nice and bright. I've just moved out into the centre of the road because the two guys on my left have walked out into the road and are walking to the Subaru Forester parked up the curb. They hadn't seen me, so I was giving them a wide berth. The Volvo was approaching the junction to turn right and he was indicating and slowing. As I start to cross him, he darts right. If you look, he's actually crossing into the minor road on to the wrong side, as if he's decided to try and beat me across the junction. He failed. I wasn't going that fast (15mph ish) and managed to scrub off a few mph before impact but it still hurt.

The guys on the left called the cops and an ambulance as soon as they heard the bang. The driver stopped and he's taxed and insured, so the chances of getting the money for the bike are reasonable. The ambulance kicked me out after looking at my scabby knee.

I'm a sad Bollo! :biggrin::sad::biggrin::biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm not surprised you're sad.

People who'll try to race you to a turning or pinch point in the road are a big bugbear of mine. Make sure your bike (and you) are properly checked over, and that numpty driver pays for replacement/repair and any home comforts you deem necessary. Hope you're back on the road soon.

Maz

Guru
That's terrible terrible driving. Hope you get well soon.
Does the driver realise you caught all this on camera?!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maz said:

Regardless, his insurance company will be weeping if it comes to showing the video footage of this stupidity, because it'll cost them dear.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Maz said:

He soon found out. At first he tried to say that I'd popped out behind the two guys on the left. They weren't having it, and pointed out that I'd moved out way before passing them, which the vid shows. Part of the reason I'd moved out was to make myself visible to the Volvo nice and early. Once I'd hobbled to the side of the road and pointed to the strange thingy on the bars, he just shut up. The attending copper thought the camera was the business, but as far as I'm aware he breathalized the driver (clean) but didn't caution him.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
That is definitely a case of driving without due care and attention, if not reckless driving, this driver should be prosecuted, that sort of behavior could easily kill someone.

Glad you're ok bollo, please go and get checked out - you might be more hurt than you think right now.

This is just another reason why I am looking forward to my ATC2000 from santa, when will drivers learn to look properly?

This twunt was probably trying to save himself a few seconds by nipping in front of that most inconsequential of road users, the cyclist. Make sure you cause as much hassle as possible for him, after all, it was your life he was f*cking about with.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. I'm going to book a check-up tomorrow and start the insurance business.

And hey hey heay! Let's be careful out there!

hill_street.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
couldn't get youtube going last night, just seen it

wow, that's horrible and not unlike my last smash although I ws going shags faster, that movie gave me a proper start, you just can't see that coming at all, what an absolute peanut of a driver

that camera footage is priceless, congratulations on not being too badly hurt, it's getting very boring how the cars causing these awful accidents are always great big gleaming tanks

I'm defo getting one of those cameras

Bokonon

Über Member
Volvos, traditionally, are bought by older people who perceive traffic to be much faster than it used to be, where as in fact traffic is the same speed as it has always been, it is just that the slowing down of the driver's cognitive abilities makes traffic appear faster. Along with their failing eyesight, they can feel nice and safe in their big metal boxes whilst totally oblivious to everything going on around them. People who consider buying Volvos should be forced to take an extended driving test to ensure they are actually safe to drive.

Glad you seem to be OK Bollo.

Top Bottom