Viking San Marino £290 ebay good value??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordjenks

hello, you have have seen my few other posts looking for a decent road bike, im 15 and have been riding mtbs for my whole life, want a change, saw this on ebay, good money for me coz i wanna buy clipless pedals etc. frame size for good aswell.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Viking-Sa...14&_trkparms=72:1298|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
good value for money?? and how easy would it be to assemble for some1 who has never done it before, they saw its 90% built. my lbs arent really amazing, too expensive and have had a couple of bad dealings with them.
thx:>

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Lordjenks.

If I were you I'd go to a Decathlons store and get one of these...
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-42393914/

10 speed Campagnolo triple! For that money is amazing, plus the frame is treally nice, well finished, wheels and tyres OK too. My mate has just bought one and I'm staggered what value for money it is. Make sure you get plenty good advice here about getting the right size.... The Decathlon will be the better bike by a long way.

OP
OP
L

lordjenks

i can see what you mean, the bike from decathlon is a bit better but, i feel that i doesnt look as nice (a bit thin) but also i live in reading and there isnt a store near me, about 100 miles which is hard for me to do (my mom needs to get me there and we have a SMALL car) just the ebay one would be delivered to my door the next day, do you think that the slightly better parts on the decathln bike would be worth it ??
thx

jayce

i bought a viking san marino never let me down its ok for the money i payed 230 for mine though .i does the job i bought mine from dj cycles

Go to Cyclezone on the Wokingham Road, where Earley Locks used to be. Pete, who owns the shop, will sort you out with something better, and you can try it out first.
Getting advice from a proper bike shop is a much better idea than buying off the internet. This could be a bargain, but it might be rubbish, and if it's broken, you've no comeback.

OP
OP
L

lordjenks

chris667 said:
Go to Cyclezone on the Wokingham Road, where Earley Locks used to be. Pete, who owns the shop, will sort you out with something better, and you can try it out first.
Getting advice from a proper bike shop is a much better idea than buying off the internet. This could be a bargain, but it might be rubbish, and if it's broken, you've no comeback.
i have been there but the cheapest bike they ahve got for me is a giant defy 4 at 450, a bit too much for what i wanted to pay really, they only deal in giants and kube. thx

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
lordjenks said:
its abotu that but we have a really small car so its getting it back.
thx

I don't know if Decathlon deliver?
Otherwise, how small is your car, bikes can be made pretty small!
PS... if it's a Smart-car, I agree we're stuffed, but let's not give-up yet! Can you borrow a Bike-rack maybe or fit a roof-rack?

The Viking looks OK TBH but it's a very old 7 speed drivetrain (8,9, 10 are the norm now and 8 is on it's way out), the gearing range is that of a race bike which might not be best for getting up reasonable hills without some grunting as it lacks low-range gears (I know the hills around Reading can get pretty steep). For those reasons a triple or a "Compact double" would be a far better bet.
From experience, the Decathlon might look a bit "thin" but is a very decent bit of kit, particularly in the flesh, if you saw one you'd not be dissapointed.
I'd keep looking to that option if you can, what's more, you can at least see one and try for size in the store. Might be worth phoning ahead if you're making a trip to check they have your size.

Mortiroloboy

I've seen one in the flesh (alloy) not overly impressed and if I recal it had an alloy fork not carbon, to be honest Lordjenks, it was pretty basic, heavy too and as others have said it's using really old groupset componentry (gears etc). 14 gears is very hard on a road bike, if you've never ridden one before, it will be a real struggle, as the ratios aren't like a standard type of pedal cycle.

Give Banjo cycles a ring in Newbury on 01635 43186, speak to Mark (the owner) he's doing 50% off lots of his '08 stock, tell him Chris Flint recommended you, can't promise he'll have something in your budget, but certainly worth a try, if he can then you could even ride home from there! he stocks Giant, Trek, Spesh, Kuota and a few more exotic brands too, plus clothing and accessories.

That Viking really isn't a good idea, it's a pile of p** really, and you would soon become disillusioned with it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm with FF - the Viking isn't bad, but if you aren't that fit, you may struggle up big hills. The decathlon one has better parts.....

Cars...small.... pah. I used to go racing taking my bike in the back of a Metro...now that is small. - Hopefully the wheels will be quick release - if not take an adjustable spanner.

The bike frame will fit on a back seat of a car (just take something to cover the seats) and the wheels will pop into the foot well...

The important thing here is the Decathlon guarantee - it's no quibble.... 5 years on the frame, two years on parts - OK wear and tear won't be covered, but I've taken stuff back in the past, never a problem..... you won't get that from an ebay seller.....

Sign up for the loyalty card, as you won't need to keep the receipt as your purchase will be logged on your account.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would look for a 2nd hand Allez or Giant. many to be had for similar money, and much better bikes.
EG There is a almost new Specialized Allez on STW for £350

Top Bottom