W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
A large majority of Strava users are non paying. I wonder how many will actually migrate and how many will just use the slimmed down free version? If most of the current non payers remain non paying Strava has shot itself in the foot. These people will be open to alternatives
If the non payers remain non payers the only drawback for Strava is their continued data storage and bandwidth usage, if they lose non payers it could help improve the service for subscribers. If people want the service four pounds a month would seem reasonable.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I always queried their business model. Large scale online community apps generally aren't subscription based. Ads pay for the service and the company sells the user data. I bet if Strava said that they would be embedding ads to keep it free that would be preferable to more people
But a lot/some of sport/exercise-based services are subscription based (or free with premium subscription features), like the various virtual ones like Zwift, RGT (free at the moment), BigRingVR, TrainerRoad, Xert and so forth and even Peloton.

So maybe they are looking in that direction. I dunno, I have no expertise in this area.

As I understand it all they've done is move a couple of features (albeit key features for some people) from the free section to the premium section to rebalance how much they give away for free. So it's not that much of a seismic shift really is it?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use the planner extensively - yes it will export to GPX but I don't bother as the routes I create and save automatically sync to my connected Wahoo account and then onto my ELEMNT Bolt. Pretty much every trail I want to ride is on there and where it isn't you can use a manual route setting option. I always check that I am riding allowable routes - no footpaths etc. Using the heatmap option will sometimes route you 'illegally' but it doesn't take too much effort to spot these.

I'm still using a very reliable Garmin 705 - I keep the Samsung S9 tucked away in my camelbak. So your routs will then sync to the Element - might have to look at one of them.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I only use Strava as a guide to how many miles i have done and nothing else. All my settings are private. I'm not bothered about times, calories, QOM or anything else and I won't be paying for it. I think they are making a big mistake and may lose customers.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I paid for it for a while but the only feature I used that wasn't in the free version were the personal heatmaps. I was intending signing up again for the version of summit that included that, but that option had disappeared when I tried last month.
Think I'll sign up for the free trial and cancel it when it runs out.

ukbabz

Über Member
I've paid for the last few years, very much of the attitude I use it a lot so for the cost of a pint a month it's fair enough.

I like the leaderboards, segments and various gamification of riding as that is an aspect of riding that appeals to me - and given the numbers I'd imagine a lot of riders on there. it encourages me to ride more so on a personal level it's fair enough.

I had noticed with the growth of zwift, strava seemed to suffer heavily. The first step was reducing leaderboards for zwift, this next step makes sense too to protect the overall service. Must take a fair bit of computation to constantly readjust leaderboards.

Drago

Legendary Member
The big question is whether or not it will suddenly see an upswing in NET numbers of paid subscribers. If it doesn't, it's an own goal.

I was an occasional subscriber, would usually pay in the summer months when I could ride with less outer clothing and the conditions were more conducive to "training", but then not bother in the winter months when I was just simply riding. They'v lost me, and another chum of mine has done the same. I've not got a huge circle of cycling friends but that's two of us - multiply that up across the country and that's rather a lot, multiply it worldwide that's a helluva lot. Will enough people who weren't previously paying suddenly put their hands in their pockets to offset this? I reckon not, but time will ultimately tell.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
But if they lose non paying customers, is it a loss, I can't see people who subscribe being upset by this change.

Probably not if they already pay but non paying customers may go elsewhere. And yes I know if they don't pay, then Strava are not bothered anyway but if people stop using Strava, then their popularity may decrease across the board and might open the door to others. Strava as a whole might not be the first choice of people in the future.

BurningLegs

Veteran
The big question is whether or not it will suddenly see an upswing in NET numbers of paid subscribers. If it doesn't, it's an own goal.
Well, I'm sure they'd like to see a net increase in subscribers, but even if the number of subscribers remains stable this would still be a win because they're reducing their overheads.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well, I'm sure they'd like to see a net increase in subscribers, but even if the number of subscribers remains stable this would still be a win because they're reducing their overheads.
It depends where the business model ultimately goes for "volume exercise tracking"

If the model becomes a subscription one then they are going to do fine

But if alternatives come along which think the correct model is free to use, embed some ads and sell the data then they are going to go bust

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I only use Strava to record where I have been really. Not interested in the route planner as I ride locally and know where I am going. In the unlikely event of me getting lost I can a) use road signs or b) use the get me home fixture on my Garmin so no big deal for me, I will continue to use it for free until they decide to start charging for everything.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't mind paying for technology if it's something I consider I need, or will at least make good use of. But Strava doesn't tell me anything that Garmin Connect doesn't. As I'm not in the least bit interested in segments, or how my speed is comparing to other cyclists, then paying for this particular piece of technology doesn't make sense. There are plenty of alternative route planners too.

Top Bottom