W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

I have used the free version of Strava since I got my bike 2 years ago and it seemed to do what I wanted..

I have just signed up to the 60 day trial to see if it does offer anything more that will benefit me.. if not I will cancel and revert back, but £48 a year is not bad really..

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
If you want or need the extras then it does seem good value, some of us got used to the free stuff for so long :rolleyes:. I do not pay much interest at all into any segment leaderboards or KOMs these days. To be frank its just got boring....

pawl

Legendary Member
It's an interesting decision they've made at a time when more people than ever are having to be very careful with their finances

A large majority of Strava users are non paying. I wonder how many will actually migrate and how many will just use the slimmed down free version? If most of the current non payers remain non paying Strava has shot itself in the foot. These people will be open to alternatives

I always queried their business model. Large scale online community apps generally aren't subscription based. Ads pay for the service and the company sells the user data. I bet if Strava said that they would be embedding ads to keep it free that would be preferable to more people

I have used the route planning on odd occasions.Dont use it often enough to pay for it.Back to using my OS maps when needed

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Dumb question

If I signed up now for the 60 day free trial, would I get access to other goodies that subscribers have - that I've never had access to (like ride stats analysis)? Or would I just get continued access to segments and KoM stuff that doesn't interest me anyway???

vickster

Legendary Member
Dumb question

If I signed up now for the 60 day free trial, would I get access to other goodies that subscribers have - that I've never had access to (like ride stats analysis)? Or would I just get continued access to segments and KoM stuff that doesn't interest me anyway???
You’ll get the whole lot of features in premium package. Just remember to cancel in plenty of time or you’ll be debited the yearly sub

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Dumb question

You would probably have access to everything for the trial period.

Tom B

Guru
The price appears to have gone down to £4 a month. That's not bad if you're interested in performance tracking. However things like Training Peaks do that much better.

I think i'm still on the old subscriotion model rather than when they split it into the three different types of membership.
I wonder what will happen to me.

Oh, and the Strava plan I use strong arms me for around £1.58 per motnth. Not sure it's their greatest move, but I'll live with it and couldn't care less about leaderboards.

Which plan costs £1.58? What do you get? Mine is $6.00 i have no idea why its billed in USD im in the UK

If you want or need the extras then it does seem good value, some of us got used to the free stuff for so long :rolleyes:. I do not pay much interest at all into any segment leaderboards or KOMs these days. To be frank its just got boring....

I have to say the various aspects of Strava and veloviewer are somthingI dip in and out of. Sometimes I spend a few weeks chasing a few segments, then Ill get bored and change the segments I go after, then ill be have a bash at collecting veloviewer tiles, or collecting monthly challenge badges, or chasing monthly/weekly mileage or average pace and so on. That's whyI enjoy it, you can make it what you want.

While i pay and will likely continue to pay. I can't see my mrs, the 4 inlaws, four teenage nephews or my cousin paying.

My other thought is that manyof the segments will have been created by these free users, who are going to now be cut out.

To those folks mentioning that some of the segments in their area are clearly set in motorvehicles such as 35mph up 20%hills, have a look at the KOM ride, you'll usually see that most of it was on a bike then there was a huge increase in pace after a stop at a parking spot/pub car park etc. It is then a simple matter of clicking flag ride to get it removed. Bad GPS data is another cause. One of the MTB runs near my house is occasionally invaded by bad GPS data from roadies on a nearby fast down hill road. Quickly flagged and removed.

That brings me to another strava annoyance..... There is so much of it only available on a desktop and not via an app. Lots of people rarely touch a desktop thesedays at home. Our work system blocks strava.

I wonder if we will see a Strava competitor pop up serving the segment market

Last edited:

stuarttunstall

I seem to have access to everything, just signed up to the trial :smile:

First impressions the analysis stuff is good but not 100% sure it is worth me paying... will see how it goes over the 60 days :smile:44

Must admit the timing is a bit suspect... how may more millions have bikes over the last 2-3 months ....

Last edited:

straas

Matt
They've been playing for quite a while with new features to entice people onto the subscription service.

I think they eventually realised their selling point was already being given away for free, so now they're changing it.

I think a lot of people will take up the subscription, the segments are a bit of fun - and can incentivise you to get a bit lighter or fitter to climb up the leaderboard.

faster

Über Member
I've paid for Strava for quite a few years now.

I'm not sure which parts of it are free and which parts aren't, but I think the only benefit I've had from the subscription is the ability to 'borrow' other peoples routes and put them straight on my Garmin.

Even without this, I'd still pay because I think it's worth paying for. I really enjoy the community aspect of it (although more for running if I'm being honest) and I think the segments are good fun. What's not to like?

Top Bottom