Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I read that the Bolt allows you to update the screens in the unit from the App on your phone. That’s pretty cool tbh.

On the flip side, I find it straight forward on my Garmin 520 also. I never have to plug it into my computer for transferring rides or for software updates, as that’s done via my phone also.

Never had any issues with losing screen layouts after updates either.

vickster

Legendary Member
I read that the Bolt allows you to update the screens in the unit from the App on your phone. That’s pretty cool tbh.

On the flip side, I find it straight forward on my Garmin 520 also. I never have to plug it into my computer for transferring rides or for software updates, as that’s done via my phone also.

Never had any issues with losing screen layouts after updates either.
The 800 doesn't have Bluetooth hence it being a positive feature for the Wahoo

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the 520 do full turn by turn directions? Although think it’s too small. I don’t want a 1000 as I’ve read little good when compared to the (I think) cheaper elemnt

broady

Veteran
The 1000 is better at directions as it finds a new route if you miss a turn. Apparently the Elemnt doesn't, but I've not tested it yet.
I'm going to try and follow a route this weekend to see what it does.
I personally don't think you can beat the 1000 for the navigation - although I'd love to try the 1030 at some point

13 rider

Guru
The 1000 is better at directions as it finds a new route if you miss a turn. Apparently the Elemnt doesn't, but I've not tested it yet.
I'm going to try and follow a route this weekend to see what it does.
I personally don't think you can beat the 1000 for the navigation - although I'd love to try the 1030 at some point
If your following a route on the elemnt it bleeps when you go off route but does not reroute you like a car satnav but you can look at the map and redirect yourself when back on route it bleeps to confirm

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Having spent many months convinced I was completely happy with my Garmins, last Saturday I was finally bitten by the "water in altimeter" problem on my 520. I'm thinking I could probably prevent this by taping a plastic curtain to the lower front of the device, being careful not to obstruct the satellite sensor - not particularly elegant but out of sight when riding. A more thoughtfully designed case would have been a better solution.

As they seem to have done everything else so well, have Wahoo also managed to avoid this problem on their devices?

13 rider

Guru
Having spent many months convinced I was completely happy with my Garmins, last Saturday I was finally bitten by the "water in altimeter" problem on my 520. I'm thinking I could probably prevent this by taping a plastic curtain to the lower front of the device, being careful not to obstruct the satellite sensor - not particularly elegant but out of sight when riding. A more thoughtfully designed case would have been a better solution.

As they seem to have done everything else so well, have Wahoo also managed to avoid this problem on their devices?
Had my bolt for 8 months been out in all weathers and had no issues yet .Unit is well sealed except the rubber flap covering mini usb charging point which seems a bit flimsy but has proved stronger enough to last the 8 months without showing any wear

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Had my bolt for 8 months been out in all weathers and had no issues yet .Unit is well sealed except the rubber flap covering mini usb charging point which seems a bit flimsy but has proved stronger enough to last the 8 months without showing any wear
That's fine as far as it goes, but until last weekend I'd've said exactly the same about the 520. What I was really looking for is evidence that the design of the Wahoo offerings makes them inherently less vulnerable to water interfering with the altimeter. Pictures don't seem to show an orifice underneath at the front where it seems that Garmins can be vulnerable, and that looks like a good start.

I'm quite prepared to believe that the Wahoos have been better designed in this respect. If so, that would be a powerful reason for considering a switch, far more so that the other issues which have been discussed, which to me seem quite marginal. I'm surprised that in the reviews and comparisons I've read, little if anything is made of this issue, and I'm mentioning it in this thread for the the benefit of all. I suspect that Garmin would say it doesn't matter because you can always use the elevation correction in Strava and RwGPS, but that means violating the "choose one method and stick with it" principle. That's no good, is it?

13 rider

Guru
That's fine as far as it goes, but until last weekend I'd've said exactly the same about the 520. What I was really looking for is evidence that the design of the Wahoo offerings makes them inherently less vulnerable to water interfering with the altimeter. Pictures don't seem to show an orifice underneath at the front where it seems that Garmins can be vulnerable, and that looks like a good start.

I'm quite prepared to believe that the Wahoos have been better designed in this respect. If so, that would be a powerful reason for considering a switch, far more so that the other issues which have been discussed, which to me seem quite marginal. I'm surprised that in the reviews and comparisons I've read, little if anything is made of this issue, and I'm mentioning it in this thread for the the benefit of all. I suspect that Garmin would say it doesn't matter because you can always use the elevation correction in Strava and RwGPS, but that means violating the "choose one method and stick with it" principle. That's no good, is it?
Been and checked the unit there are on opening on the front ,side or underneath just the charging usb port which has a smaller opening next to it covered by the same rudder flap so very limited areas for water ingress but only long time use will tell

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got an Edge 500 and its altimeter is awful! It is less accurate and reliable than my old Etrex which just calculates elevation from the GPS satellite signals. The Etrex is usually accurate to better than 25 metres and often within 10. The 500 will often get the elevation wrong by up to 50 metres and even if I correct it by starting from a known elevation (e.g. home) it can be way out by the time I get home a couple of hours later.

bpsmith

Veteran
I've got an Edge 500 and its altimeter is awful! It is less accurate and reliable than my old Etrex which just calculates elevation from the GPS satellite signals. The Etrex is usually accurate to better than 25 metres and often within 10. The 500 will often get the elevation wrong by up to 50 metres and even if I correct it by starting from a known elevation (e.g. home) it can be way out by the time I get home a couple of hours later.
Out of interest, what is it “wrong” in comparison to?

Genuinely interested in what you would consider bring “right”?

ColinJ

Out of interest, what is it “wrong” in comparison to?

Genuinely interested in what you would consider bring “right”?
The elevations shown on my OS maps! For example, I know that the elevation at the junction at Blackstone Edge reservoir is 387 metres.

Blackstone Edge elevation.jpg

My Etrex typically makes it (say) 380 - 394 metres. My Edge 500 is more like (say) 357 - 417 metres. The Edge has more complex circuitry than the Etrex and was more expensive so it ought to be more accurate.

bpsmith

Veteran
The elevations shown on my OS maps! For example, I know that the elevation at the junction at Blackstone Edge reservoir is 387 metres.

View attachment 386346

My Etrex typically makes it (say) 380 - 394 metres. My Edge 500 is more like (say) 357 - 417 metres. The Edge has more complex circuitry than the Etrex and was more expensive so it ought to be more accurate.
That’s very interesting, thanks. I have had conversations with a few mates regarding accuracy and they all compare back to what Strava states as being the elevation. Strava’s data is wildly inaccurate. Will compare some of my rides to OS data and see.

ColinJ

@ColinJ do you always recalibrate the altimeter before setting out? Great wonkiness can arise if you don't.
I have set an elevation point at my front door so before I set off I wait to achieve satellite lock and then start the ride timer. The Edge 500 then announces that the elevation point has been found and displays the correct elevation. It just seems to drift out as a ride progresses!

Top Bottom