Walking boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First thing, merry Christmas to you all, thanks for all your support over the years, especially the dark times.

Second thing, although this is a cycling forum, can anyone recommend a brand of walking boots in the £50 category. Just moved to the countryside and enjoying the walks but I'm sure they would be enhanced by decent boots instead of my steel toe cap work ones! And I'm pretty sure Santa has some money for me.

Stompier

What sort of terrain - rocky, gravelly, hilly? Do you need water resistance? If the terrain is relatively tame, could you get by with shoes rather than boots?

I've got a pair of Treksta trail shoes which do for most outdoor stuff. Not sure I'd want to climb everest in them though.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
Yes try some on, expensive isn't necessarily comfortable. And comfort / good fit is more important than any other factor.

I'm still using a pair of £35 Hitecs bought ~25 years ago

I believe you moved to my neck of the woods recently? Had a bad experience with Cotswold outdoors and now use Go Outdoors in Norwich.
Keep my walking boots for the lakes or really long walks, for everything else just use walking shoes. Personally like Merrils as their half size fits me like a glove.

Mark pallister

Go to the altberg factory they will measure you and advise on what are best for you
you get plenty of time to walk in them to make sure there comfortable
they make boots for police and fire fighters

If you're near a Go Outdoors they have a reasonable selection and price match plus 10% (including web only outlets), they also have a return policy if you find you don't get on with them which a mate of mine recently used.

pawl

Legendary Member
First thing, merry Christmas to you all, thanks for all your support over the years, especially the dark times.

Second thing, although this is a cycling forum, can anyone recommend a brand of walking boots in the £50 category. Just moved to the countryside and enjoying the walks but I'm sure they would be enhanced by decent boots instead of my steel toe cap work ones! And I'm pretty sure Santa has some money for me.

Karrimore mount mid7 weather tight.Used these for extensive walking in the l Lakes, North Wales Ben Nevis ,Yorkshire Dales and Derbyshire.I would class these boots as a three season boot for hilly /rocky terrain.but comfortable for tracks and trails.If you are considering more extreme walking in winter then I would look elsewhere eg Blacks I don’t know if the Karrimor are still available. I bought mine from Sports Direct Fosse Park Not a store I particularly recommend, I knew what my requirements were and these boots were on offer at the time.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Sorry I thought you were still a Leicestershire resident. I assume the terrain around your neck of the woods is more gentle.terrain to which I was referring.A walking shoe or low cut boot may be more appropriate.

Mountain Warehouse has some good quality boots and shoes.

Top Bottom