Walking/ Hiking boots?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I’ve worn almost nothing but Loake 747B Oxfords for work for about 20 years. They’re comfortable and look good, and last well. I’ve always found that leather soles are fine even in the wet once they’re worn in a bit, except on the strangely lethal paving stones favoured by Leeds council.
Are those stones those smooth as a pebble flags that've been down for decades? I got stranded on some last year that weren't only wet, but also covered in slippery moss! There are a few patches of them around here. They are so fecking dangerous!:ohmy: I don't know why councils haven't removed them as folk who slip on them must claim off the local council, though there's one patch of them around here privately owned. The owner won't fence them off,saying he doesn't have a problem with folk walking on 'his land',but he will have if i fecking fall on them and make a claim against him!🧐 :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I’ve always found that leather soles are fine even in the wet once they’re worn in a bit,
How though? To me,even when the glossy bit wears off they're still too smooth to grip the road/pavement. I must be getting old as when at school in the 1970's i wore (as many did) leather soled brogues with metal segs on the heels. Yet i never slipped...as far as i can remember.:smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
How though? To me,even when the glossy - bit wears off they're still too smooth to grip the road/pavement. I must be getting old as when at school in the 1970's i wore (as many did) leather soled brogues with metal segs on the heels. Yet i never slipped...as far as i can remember.:smile:
I've never found too much of an issue with leather soles for grip but I've always found you end up needing to have them re-soled every few months. Rubber soles last much better in general.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I've gone for these, maybe not my best move but my current boots gave up the ghost on Sunday and I'm out a Scout camp on Friday night!.

Time will tell..

View attachment 490076

View attachment 490075

I must admit I didn't have high hopes for these at the price but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Very waterproof, nice fit, comfy, good ankle support and they've done a lot of miles now with no signs of falling to bits.

We've basically been outside for best part of last 2 years at meetings so got plenty of hikes in.

Maybe when these wear out I may try something more upmarket but if they last 5 years I might just buy the same again!.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I watch a Shoe Repair channel on YouTube and he seems to re-sole shoes with leather soles but all the boots get rubber soles fitted (presumably a lot harder wearing?).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
How did you find the water proofing ?

I am about to buy some new boots for dog walking and they need to be water proof for the winter walking through fields.

Superb.

Thay stand up to long damp days in the Cumbrian mountains so should be fine for what you need.

They also have one of the very best orthopaedic insoles that you will find on any boot as standard.

I have done hundreds of mountain days during my life and I've never had a better boot.

Kajjal

Guru
Superb.

Thay stand up to long damp days in the Cumbrian mountains so should be fine for what you need.

They also have one of the very best orthopaedic insoles that you will find on any boot as standard.

I have done hundreds of mountain days during my life and I've never had a better boot.
That’s great thanks 🙂

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've now done 244 Munros and of course all their English, Welsh and Irish counterparts and all have been climbed in Brasher boots. Maybe they're not 'trendy' or 'fashionable' but at the end of a long tiring day, the less uncomfortable your feet, the better and Brashers do that better than any other boot my feet have been in. You don't need the cosmetic trendiness of Goretex - mainly because it doesn't work - so save the extra that unnecessarily costs and go for plain leather. So comfortable, you can tackle Ben Nevis with straight-out-of-the-box Brashers comforting your feet.

Top Bottom