Walking shoe recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
(I have to say though, personally I wouldn't bother shining walking boots, they're not going on parade... I just wax mine).

Why polish them? You're not going on parade, you're going walking. Dubbin is the stuff you need. Waterproofs, softens and protects the leather. Accept no substitutes.

The leather's started to crack slightly, on top of the boots where the toes bend. It's bugging me seeing the marks as i walk. I thought polish,with it having colour pigment it would cover the cracks up. Anyway,i don't know if polish would get past the wax barrier now on the boots?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The leather's started to crack slightly, on top of the boots where the toes bend.
Cracking?
They're only a couple of days old!
Take 'em back.

Venod

Eh up
Have you not spotted the logo?

View attachment 374807

Yes but these are made in Leicester.

Fox's_Glacier_Mints_package.gif

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The leather's started to crack slightly, on top of the boots where the toes bend. It's bugging me seeing the marks as i walk. I thought polish,with it having colour pigment it would cover the cracks up. Anyway,i don't know if polish would get past the wax barrier now on the boots?
I'm with Dirk here - if there's a crack, take 'em back. If not, get rubbin' with the dubbin. Don't worry about 'the wax barrier' - wax is no barrier against anything. Which is why you need dubbin. Trust me, I'm a doctor. Well, no, I'm not. But trust me anyway.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I don't think they'll have cracked, as User says, Accy will likely be referring to / freaking out over creases. But of course, the leather will crease when you walk in them.

Accy, polish won't get rid of the creases. You get creases in leather boots, it's a fact of life after day 1, and simply a sign that they're not new any longer... no more, no less. Think of it as patina!
And if you're not walking / wading the Amazon next week or doing rainy season in the Peak District as a hill guide, then wax, polish or dubbin are all fine, your feet won't get wet. You possibly are overthinking this a tad.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Hell those boots took some breaking in. The ankle soreness is going now,so they should be ok from now on. I've walked about 25 miles in them,so far. I did an 8 mile walk today,over hills and rough ground. They seem ok.

Last edited:

I bought some of those today. Look nice and feel good from the off.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just a quick update to let you know how the boots are doing.:smile: They're broken in now and are so comfy. I must've walked a few hundred miles in them now. Along with the merino wool socks i bought, they're totally warm in the cold and breathable when it gets (occasionally) warm. I'm glad i bought leather and not man made fabric ones. They get a good polishing nearly everyday.:smile:

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm glad they are working for you. I discovered walking in the snow yesterday that my old Karrimor 'Weathertite' boots are no longer fully weather tight, so I'll probably be in the market for some new boots soon. I'll keep the Grisports in mind :smile:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm glad they are working for you. I discovered walking in the snow yesterday that my old Karrimor 'Weathertite' boots are no longer fully weather tight, so I'll probably be in the market for some new boots soon. I'll keep the Grisports in mind :smile:
Yes,i'd say they were worth the money. They're sturdy enough to walk up and down hills,but not too "mountaineering boot(ish)" to make you look like a right lemon when just walking round the local park.:smile:

Top Bottom