Walking shoe recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

I took a chance and went for a walk in them,even though i'd only waxed them twice.:rolleyes: Painful round the ankle bones at first,but not too bad after about a mile.

I don't lace my boots up on the top couple of eyelets as they restrict my ankle movement, give it a go.

potsy

Rambler
Inspired by this thread I went to look for my walking boots earlier, couldn't find them anywhere.

After several hours I finally located them under a load of bikes/cycling gear in the under stairs cupboard.

Still covered in grass from when I last did the gardening in them ^_^

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Finally been evicted? ;)
They're finding me "something more suitable". According to them,other residents have been asking if they can have pets,seeing as i have one. Yeah right!.:rolleyes:
They must think i came down with the last snowstorm.:rolleyes:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
U

User6179

It's usually the point at which you tie them that causes the problems. Have a look here:

https://www.backpacker.com/gear/common-hiking-boot-lacing-techniques

I use the 'cuff pressure' method all the time.

Aye spot on, will try lacing them to the top then back down a few hooks then tie them, I struggle with tight calf/achilles and even with trainers on I struggle up hills, fine with steps but if I have to bend my foot to a high gradient I cant manage with boots laced up.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I fancy polishing my new boots soon. The chap in the shop told me which polish is ok and which one's not ok. I can't remember if he said that Cherry Blossom is water based which would be ok,or was it Kiwi that'd be ok? Anyway,he said petroleum based polishes are bad for the leather and stitching.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I fancy polishing my new boots soon. The chap in the shop told me which polish is ok and which one's not ok. I can't remember if he said that Cherry Blossom is water based which would be ok,or was it Kiwi that'd be ok? Anyway,he said petroleum based polishes are bad for the leather and stitching.

I've never heard of any polish actually damaging boots! Your man sounds like he's really over thinking a very simple thing.

Anyway, kiwi has been protecting and shining Her Majesty's Forces boots for many decades now, a forces person wouldn't go near cherry blossom as it doesn't bull up particularly well. So if you have to polish then go with the one that the pros trust. It does shine up very well.

(I have to say though, personally I wouldn't bother shining walking boots, they're not going on parade... I just wax mine).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Why polish them? You're not going on parade, you're going walking. Dubbin is the stuff you need. Waterproofs, softens and protects the leather. Accept no substitutes.

Top Bottom