Walking shoe recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Problem is they're broken in for someone else's feet. Shoes, like underwear, should always be bought new.

100 % agree. Especially underwear

JoshM

It's tempting,but i'm daft enough to come away with a pair. "Er,i don't know much about walking shoes,so can you recommend a pair/? Kerching! The pounds sign flashes up before their eyes!:eek:

I've found most independent shops selling outdoor gear I've gone to to be the opposite. There's money to be made in providing sound advice and creating a repeat customer. A customer who feels ripped off is unlikely to return.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Whatever you buy make sure they have a grippy sole.
I have a pair of Salamon walking boots, very cosy, goretex, but slippy in the wet so not much use.
I had a pair of Caterpillar boots once. Similar to these.http://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/cate...rc=18615224&ifdyn:&promo=6230&cm_mmc=Googleba They were ok in wet conditions,but set foot in ice or snow and you'd end up on your backside! The soles were totally useless in snow and ice. Someone once told me the more rubber there is in a shoe's sole the better. Cheap ones tend to have more plastic in their soles,which isn't good for gripping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
i'm not too sure about buying second hand shoes either. I know of someone who heard of a chap dying. He then went to the charity shop to buy the dead man's shoes,as he overheard his widow saying she'd sent them there. That's a bit too weird for my liking.:unsure:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4958643, member: 9609"]just have a look round the charity shops, you will probably find something you are looking for for a fiver. With the added bonus they have will have probably been broken in. My walking shoes, work boots and dress shoes are all charity shop, (the work boots were still new in the box, never worn)[/QUOTE]
I bought some very nice Churches, about £250 worth in a charity shop for eight quid not long ago. Always worth looking.

If you want a traditional shoe Loakes are very good:
https://www.loake.co.uk/row/shop/

Have a look here at some more of that type at reduced prices:
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/loake-sale

tyred

Legendary Member
I like Trespass for their shoes and boots. They seem to fit me like a glove and are always supremely comfortable and last reasonably well. I don't think they have anything in leather though.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I saw some velcro fastening shoes that were supposed to be walking shoes,the other day. I like my shoes to be fastened/laced up tight,not loose and unable to adjust the tightness of the shoe. If you were out walking with such shoes they could easily come off if your foot got bogged down. That reminds me of that George Michael joke,by the way.:giggle:

Top Bottom