Walking shoe recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
20170916_105451.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you are after full leather boots, how about something like the Berghaus Hillmaster?
Outdoors-2-of-8.jpg

I haven't been involved in hill walking fora for a few years, but they used to get decent reviews a few years back. At the time they were made by Brasher, before Berghaus bought them out.

Boots are a bit like saddles, they are very user specific. I found that I got on well with Karrimor boots, so have an old pair of Weathertite mids that I use for occasional pottering about in the Lakes. I have a lovely pair of Aku boots however, which while brilliantly made, they eat the back of my ankle if I wear them for any real distance :sad:

screenman

Legendary Member
Grisport have replaced my Brashers and I feel they are of equal quality if not better, lots to choose from as well. That and they were nearly half the price of my Brashers, the original Brashers I am talking about not the pretend one's since Berghaus brought them out.

screenman

Legendary Member
Handy to know. I used to like Brashers.

My favourites are Keen - but very few places stock them (physically rather than via the internet).

I tend to get through a pair of walking shoes every 9-12 months and having wide feet (hence the love for Keen) means that replacing them tends to be expensive.

Wide feet here as well along with other problems, I am really impressed with the quality.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 4958827, member: 9609"]I'm curious about these - is the end bit just for looks or do you put a toe in each one like a glove ?[/QUOTE]

Toe in each one. The idea is they allow your feet a natural range of movement, thus giving a better walking/running posture, whilst still protecting them; I prefer Vevo Barefoot (or Freet).

They take a bit of getting used to but I love them!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Toe in each one. The idea is they allow your feet a natural range of movement, thus giving a better walking/running posture, whilst still protecting them; I prefer Vevo Barefoot (or Freet).

They take a bit of getting used to but I love them!
I have semi-conjoined toes (2-3, each foot) so physically wouldn't fit any of those.

screenman

Legendary Member
Spending £100 wont get you a decade of wear I spend that and more and get a year ish out of my boots and shoes
I'd advise against a North Face Gortext shoe, mine lasted 6 months before the sole was totally worn flat. I had hedgehogs.
What size are you? I've got a pair of new boots you can have for free if your the correct size.https://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/212364-hi-tec-dexter-mid-waterproof-hiking-shoe.html. These are them.

My Brasher boots are used quite a bit and are now 20 years old, I honestly feel the Grisport shoes I have at £65 will do as well.

Top Bottom