Walking shoe recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I've got a pair of Asolo similar to these. Brilliant boots, great grip, as long as it isn't wet grass and pretty waterproof. You won't get a shine on them tho'. I'd not wear them on paved roads either as they're quite hard. For about town I buy a cheap pair and expect to have to replace them, currently HiTec boots bought in a sale. Don't expect boots with lots of stitching to be waterproof.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
They are not the Brashers they were though, just imitation at an expensive price.

This is a Grisport and at £60ish damn good value.

View attachment 373870
I looked at Grisport, and for the price they look very very good indeed, esp as they are EU sourced, seemingly (wonders whether they are made offshore for Italians?)

ETA
No, they are clear they are Italian made

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I've got a pair of Asolo similar to these. Brilliant boots, great grip, as long as it isn't wet grass and pretty waterproof. You won't get a shine on them tho'. I'd not wear them on paved roads either as they're quite hard. For about town I buy a cheap pair and expect to have to replace them, currently HiTec boots bought in a sale. Don't expect boots with lots of stitching to be waterproof.
I can see why - the lugs are very broad and not very agressive. It's all a compromise in one way or another.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I notice that Salomon are going the way of Karrimoor ie cheapening the brand.

I was rummaging through Field & Trek (a once v.good climbing/hiking chain but now sadly a shadow of its former self) and noticed a pair of Salomon lightweight boots 'reduced' to £74.99.

I tried a pair on thinking they would be good for some light, low level hoofing but they were appalling. Poor fit, poor workmanship, a cheap and inadequate insole - just total tosh.

I think they've been dumbing down for years. I used to swear by Salomons for scrambling and had much fun in them in the mountains over the years. They used some great Contagrip soles. But several years back I was scrambling Slab & Notch on Pillar in The Lakes - this is a short but fairly hard climb over some big drops on often damp rock. My mate and I were roped up and I was leading so no protection was in place for me when, on a greasy little downward sloping slab my right foot just slid into space. Now these things happen but it just shouldn't have happened there and then. It wasn't a great moment as I thought I was about to have a severe 'off'. V.scarey!

We finished the climb and I thought nothing more of it. However a few days later I was packing my boots into the car for another walk when, for some reason, I noticed that the sole was not Contagrip. The boots were only a couple of months old and I hadn't really noticed the change in sole unit. A few tests on some low level damp rock confirmed my suspicions that the rubber was too hard and offered very little traction on smooth surfaces. No choice but to confine them to low level duties.

Sign of the times maybe.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't Field & Trek just another Sports Direct 'brand'? I think that's how they label their walking shoe section in store

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Apropos of low level walking, I've done more miles in Crocs this summer than anything else. In many ways they are better than my Keen highish walking shoes as any stones that get in at least get out again equally quickly, as opposed to their worming their way down the sides of my ankles...

SpokeyDokey

Aren't Field & Trek just another Sports Direct 'brand'? I think that's how they label their walking shoe section in store

@vickster

Field & Trek were once a privately owned outdoors retailing chain (maybe 15 or so shops across the country). They catered for mountaineers & hard core walkers with a huge range of quality kit. I think they started out in Brentwood (I maybe wrong on that). They were famous for their excellent staff who were all outdoor enthusiasts and who knew their stuff,

At some stage they sold out to Sports Direct and they ripped the heart out of the brand and, as you say, they are now the 'walking section' within the Sports Direct stores.

A mini-tragedy really.

Last edited:
U

User6179

I notice that Salomon are going the way of Karrimoor ie cheapening the brand

Go outdoors were selling of some Salomon trainers a few years back at half price , they were a cheap imitation of the original shoe, when you lift out the insole there was like a bit cardboard type material that disintegrates when wet, very similar to the cheaper Karrimor trainers .

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to 2 local shops that sell walking boots and shoes,today. Unfortunately both were closed. Wouldn't you think such shops would be open on Sunday's these day? I've found these https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/1792...mrammqqrt&istBid=tztx&utm_source=Criteo&utm_m What do you reckon? I know some'll say that you'd be better off trying them on for fit and comfort,but why wouldn't a size 10 fit,if i've only ever found size 10's fit in shoes and nothing else does? As for comfort,you couldn't tell just by putting them on in a shop and walking a few paces. Time will tell if shoes are comfy or not.

Levo-Lon

Guru
85 sniffs is a good price for them if they fit Accy.

You absolutely must try them on..they may squeez your foot or be just bloody awfull

SpokeyDokey

I went to 2 local shops that sell walking boots and shoes,today. Unfortunately both were closed. Wouldn't you think such shops would be open on Sunday's these day? I've found these https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/1792...mrammqqrt&istBid=tztx&utm_source=Criteo&utm_m What do you reckon? I know some'll say that you'd be better off trying them on for fit and comfort,but why wouldn't a size 10 fit,if i've only ever found size 10's fit in shoes and nothing else does? As for comfort,you couldn't tell just by putting them on in a shop and walking a few paces. Time will tell if shoes are comfy or not.

Personal choice but I don't like leather boots like that - way too heavy.

I don't agree with you re not trying them on. Boots differ massively due to the last on which they are constructed. Wide vs narrow toe box, Wide vs narrow across the mid (flex & tongue) area and even around the collar.

I get a new pair every 12 months or so (heavy user) but many people have a pair for years so it's best to buy well imo.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, they can be considerably lighter, and after a long day wearing them you know about it. That said, a well designed leather boot won't be too bad. One of the many reasons I use only Highlanders for SAR is the low weight (and comfort, robustness, waterproofing, grip, and decent price).

Venod

Eh up
Grisport have replaced my Brashers and I feel they are of equal quality if not better, lots to choose from as well. That and they were nearly half the price of my Brashers, the original Brashers I am talking about not the pretend one's since Berghaus brought them out.

I had some of the Original Brashers, there were very good, I have just bought some of the new Brasher Country Traveler II, I don't subscribe to your description of pretend one's, they seem just as good as the old ones to me, maybe a bit heavier, but I didn't buy them for just hiking, they make a good general all round winter boot.

country-travell_13CF01BB_large.jpg

Top Bottom