Walking shoe recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I like the Decathlon walking boots and shoes. Very good value and well made.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I know i did,but i've gone onto the idea of boots now,as i'm thinking about snow and slush overlapping the tops of shoes..I'm open to all suggestions. :okay: I think with all these suggestions,it's complicated things more as i didn't think there were so many things to consider when buying walking shoes/boots. My main requirements are a good gripping sole(that's the main thing),long life of the shoe/boot and waterproofing.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I am thinking about having a look to this place i mentioned on Saturday. http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/ Do you think their stuff will be way over priced? I can't see any prices in their advert. What is it they say. If you have to ask the price then you wont be able to afford it. Are we talking 200 quid,300 quid or even more? I'm prepared to pay £150-200 (maybe £250 if they have a good salesman/woman) but they'd have to come with a serious guarantee for that much. None of this "Oh you've worn them too long for us to give you a refund", as i once had with a pair of shoes years ago. Yes i'd owned them for about 6 months,but i hadn't worn them that much. I want a "Yes we'll gladly refund you or give you a new pair",if they turn out to be poor quality.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I am thinking about having a look to this place i mentioned on Saturday. http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/ Do you think their stuff will be way over priced? I can't see any prices in their advert. What is it they say. If you have to ask the price then you wont be able to afford it. Are we talking 200 quid,300 quid or even more? I'm prepared to pay £150-200 (maybe £250 if they have a good salesman/woman) but they'd have to come with a serious guarantee for that much. None of this "Oh you've worn them too long for us to give you a refund", as i once had with a pair of shoes years ago. Yes i'd owned them for about 6 months,but i hadn't worn them that much. I want a "Yes we'll gladly refund you or give you a new pair",if they turn out to be poor quality.
Their prices for boots are on their site? Basically, you pay "rack rate" for the boots and they use their superior fitting skills to get you exactly the right pair, as I read it.

So yes, £200 will get you what you want, hopefully with change, so go there. Even if you don't buy, you'll have had an education in boot fitting so you'll be able to choose for yourself.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Their prices for boots are on their site? Basically, you pay "rack rate" for the boots and they use their superior fitting skills to get you exactly the right pair, as I read it.

So yes, £200 will get you what you want, hopefully with change, so go there. Even if you don't buy, you'll have had an education in boot fitting so you'll be able to choose for yourself.

What is "rack rate",may i ask?:smile:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Typical! They're shut today,but were open yesterday, when i was out going to the shops that weren't open!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You shouldn't have to spend more than £150 to get a good pair of walking boots/shoes that are fit for purpose.
Especially for what i want them for. I'm not planning on hiking in the Cairngorms,i'm just after something for walking around the local park (though it is quite steep and boggy in parts) and keeping my footing if we get snow or ice.. Maybe something a little more adventurous one day,but not at the moment.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@Accy cyclist

V.good boots to be had in the £120-150 range. I rarely pay more than that. £200 is total overkill.

Re lightweight 'fabric' boots. Every time for me. As I said they are considerably lighter than leather and on a long hike that can make a world of difference. 'Fabric' is extremely tough and takes a real beating but do look for a decent rubber rand around the toe unit, one that climbs up onto the top of the boot is perfect,this will give added bash protection to your toes.

Re sole units/grip. Look for Contagrip/Vibram (they have a big logo embedded in the sole). Unless you are planning on climbing on slippery rock the sole hardness will not really matter. Harder will wear longer. All the respected manufacturer sole units will self clean of mud to a reasonable extent. If you are planning on walking anywhere hilly-ish look for a sharply defined (often forward facing) heel breast - this is the bit at the front of the heel. Many a slip has been stopped by this simple feature.

Fit. Whip out the insole. Stand on it (do it for both feet as one will be bigger than the other for sure) with the heel in its natural position (there'll be a small recess to locate your foot properly). The insole should project beyond the end of your big toe by about one middle finger width (ish). Try boots on with warm feet - it's a good idea to go for a bit of a walk beforehand.

Gore-tex lining - a must have. Long wet grass will soak boots without this. Don't be afraid to buy boots that use other membranes - Gore is not the be all and end all.

Have a rummage through these websites for ideas on which brands - look for 3 season boots.

https://www.nevisport.com/

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/

https://www.blacks.co.uk/

Good luck

Top Bottom