Wash My Road Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hello

My road shoes stink, they got wet and now smell like cat pee.
If I put them in a cloth bag, can I put them in the washing machine ?

thanks

AndyRM

XOXO
Yeah, should be fine. Bag is a good idea, especially if they've got fancy straps.

Wouldn't want them to dry to quickly so airing cupboard or top of a boiler is probably best for that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't stuff them with newspaper, this is nonsense. They are synthetic, leave them in a warm well-ventilated place and they'll dry fast. It's going to be sunny this weekend so hang them on the line where sterilising UV can get to them. The cat pee smell comes from the cardboard liner under the insole and is the result of bacteria growing in the damp cardboard because you haven't taken the insoles out after wearing them. Leaving damp newspaper in them will just re-start the bacterial growth.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was my road shoes and MTB shoes a couple of times a year. No harm as befallen them yet. I take the insoles out put the shoes in an old pillow case and zip tie it up. I have replaced my insoles a couple of times over the last 5 years.

S-Express

Don't stuff them with newspaper, this is nonsense. They are synthetic,

It's not nonsense and I'm not sure what being synthetic has got to do with it anyway. The insoles and insides of the synthetic uppers still retain water/moisture, which the newspaper draws out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The old idea about stuffing shoes with newspaper came about when people wore leather boots and drying would cause them to shrink. With a synthetic shoe newspaper will just form a big wad of damp material and will delay drying and prolong the conditions that bacteria just love. Better to dry them quickly with plenty of fresh air and UV.

Cat litter is just an absorbant material, it doesn't have magical anti-malodour properties. It works by drying the poo and pee. All the perfumes do is mask malodour.

Broadside

Guru
I have read that the cat pee smell actually comes from one of the common glues used in trainers and cycling shoes, when it gets wet it releases that smell.

If the shoes aren't really dirty but just stink then I put them in a bucket of strong Milton for a few hours and then dry them on a radiator. They come out smelling really clean and the cat pee smell has gone.

Top Bottom