Wasting my time ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by cyberknight, 31 Mar 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

I'm taller. I ride a bigger bike.

Yet I'm still a slowcoach ;)

Reynard likes this.
  2. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

That's precisely *why* I won't join a group. I sort of average around 10 or 11 mph, and that's not fair on everyone else. FWIW, the local club rides average 14 mph, which I've no hope of keeping up for the length of an entire 40k ride...

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  3. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

:laugh:

You're probably still faster than me. :blush:

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Formerly known as snertos999

Here is my view yesterday on the route out of Swansea which is always dead, even on nice days. IMG_20190406_143249649.jpg

mudsticks likes this.
  5. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Have you ever tried one of those slow bike races ?? You know where you have to ride as slowly as possible over a given distance, but not put your foot down or stray off the path - it takes a tremendous amount of control.

Could be a win to aim for - if speed aint your thing :smile:

Reynard and Pat "5mph" like this.
  6. bladderhead

bladderhead Well-Known Member

Are recumbents allowed?

7. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

That's exactly the sort of speed I average out at when I'm just pottering about running errands or just having a nice leisurely ride involving a lot of off-tarmac tracks. I can keep up 14 mph using roads if I put my mind to it, but most of the time I can't be bothered to ride to a defined pace, and prefer to take random detours down quiet, little-used routes maybe because I'm simply curious what is down some route I've never ridden before.
    Club cycling involves a more regimented, disciplined approach to riding, and that just isn't my thing. Casual and spontaneous for me, stop for a drink when I like, stop to look at an interesting building, divert down some little alley to see where it goes. Solo cycling gives you the absolute freedom to do it in your own way, at your own pace.

mudsticks and Pat "5mph" like this.
  8. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Yes! Well, I do remember we had to do this when doing Cycling Proficiency at school... :blush: *wibble* *wobble* *wibble* *wobble* :laugh:

mudsticks likes this.
  9. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I just like to ride at a nice clip - not dawdling, but not flat out either. Comfortable would describe it. As a rather, umm, short, lady cyclist, I just don't have the legs for the pace of club rides. And to be fair, it's not really my scene - I'm very much a "go out when I've got an hour to spare" kind of cyclist. Except when I've got errands to do LOL

Pat "5mph" and mudsticks like this.
  10. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I never got to do cycling proficiency, my mum was dead against cycling for some reason.

It did mean I based most of my school friend choices largely around whether or not they owned a bicycle, I could use.

Then got one at earliest opportunity, and never stopped cycling since.
    Nothing like a streak of rebellion to spur one into action :angel:

dave r, Pat "5mph" and Reynard like this.
  11. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Could have been in the shape of a cock instead

12. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Cue phallic topiary pics... :rolleyes:

13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Just tell them it is temporal penance

mudsticks likes this.
  14. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

You would fit in nicely with a flat bar leisure group, as opposed to a road club.

There probably is such a thing on your patch - facebook has its uses.

Of course, if group riding isn't for you that's an end to it.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
    dave r and Reynard like this.
  15. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

I never quite got the the "The further the distance, the faster we go". You don't run a marathon faster than the 100 metres. There ought to be options for riding further but at a gentler pace. Many would be able to ride further, if the pace was slower.

Dogtrousers and Pat "5mph" like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice