Wasting my time ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by cyberknight, 31 Mar 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

Did they run in formal wear so that if questioned they could claim to be rushing to a bible reading?
    Have toured camped in those parts - i well remember seeing kids swings locked up. Dull sundays of my childhood party time compared to that.

Dogtrousers and iandg like this.
  2. Going back to OP, we gave up trying to organise regular weekend rides in Stornoway. With family commitments, the church, the Sunday thing (no shops/cafes open etc.), too many people want to do their own thing and won't commit to a regular meeting time.

The Monday night watt bike sessions and Wednesday night training sessions have however been successful.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2019
  3. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

I know we have a few members who don't join the club's Sunday rides, as they attend church. As to the rides I organise - I can't always ride with the group, but try and provide a varied programme - a mix of distances, difficulty, routes, café stops, and I try not to repeat routes more than once every 2 months. Attendance varies - last week 14 - fairly average for a fine day. (even in winter) If the weather is really bad we still have a hard core of maybe 5 or 6. Numbers have tailed off over the post Olympics/Wiggo years - we were having to split into 2 or more groups, but it had become tricky coping with more than 12 - 15 anyway, especially with regard to overwhelming small cafes.

4. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

As cyclists we should by now be used to taking the blame for everything.

Add to the list: being fully responsible for the decline in congregation numbers. Happy to take a hit on that one ;)

5. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

my thoughts exactly, cycling for enjoyment isn't work, is walking to church classed as work I wonder, how about making the tea on sunday , is that also work

6. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

Mod note:

New thread titled Sunday Cycling Restrictions has been started in General Cycling Discussions as per member requests.

Relevant posts have been moved from this thread to the new thread.

Slick likes this.
  7. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

Mod note:

Following member requests a 'Dead Badgers whilst cycling' thread has been started in General Cycling Discussions. Apologies re the uninspiring title - my imagination reserves seem to be depleted today.

@Globalti 's post has been left in-situ within this thread as the DB was only mentioned in passing and is therefore not OT.

The Osprey post has been left in-situ for the poster to delete if they wish. It could be moved to the DB thread but that might prompt complaints re Ospreys are an entirely different critter to a DB and what's it doing in the DB thread? ^_^

And no, this may be a tad Ospreyish but we are not starting an Osprey thread. :thumbsup: :smile:

8. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Not a mod note you'll see everyday folks!

9. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Maybe you should wash your cycling kit more often?

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Formerly known as snertos999

Cycling alone is massively underrated.

Smokin Joe, bladderhead and C R like this.
  11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

For most of my cycling career I was a clubman and loved it. The more that came out on the runs the better, but now I'm at that certain age I much prefer cycling alone and indeed dread the thought of someone joining me. They are either too slow, or (Much more often now) too fast, and it is such a chore to either pootle round while you want to press on or shag yourself silly trying to keep up with someone quicker.

Plus they always expect me to explain why I'm risking certain death. I won't go into detail by using the H word as it will only cause trouble.

tyred and DCBassman like this.
  12. bladderhead

bladderhead Well-Known Member

I agree with SuperHans123. And Smokin Joe. And as to the H word, neither do I. But diamond-frame riders who have gone over their handlebars are disqualified from talking to recumbent riders about safety.

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Formerly known as snertos999

Going out when YOU want, stopping when you want, changing routes at the drop of a hat, unscheduled cake stops, unashamedly pushing up a small hill 'cos you can't be assed, taking the odd daft selfie. These are just some of the joys of cycling alone.

tyred, Pat "5mph", mudsticks and 3 others like this.
  14. Houthakker

Houthakker Über Member

Sometimes I wonder if I'm a bit anti social going out mostly on my own, then I remember why I enjoy it so much!

15. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I dunno about that.

I massively rate it.

In addition to all the benefits you've listed, you can sing loudly and very badly, and don't get your kit, or bike, or pace judged by fellow riders.

The groups I see out and about look rather homogenised, but then I guess that's almost the point of a club, that sense of belonging ??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice