Wasting my time ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by cyberknight, 31 Mar 2019.

Tags:
  1. pawl

pawl Veteran

Back in the dim and distant pass(1955)I joined the local CTC section.Rides then were always all day rides and always had a definite destination. Alton Towers Trentham Gardens,this was long before they became theme parks.

CTC appointed tea place mid day .Large pot of tea and eat your own sandwiches.Tea time,another CTC establishment.Rides always planned three months in advance.

Checked one of the clubs local to me and they go same route.same.Cafe stop and return

Club runs back then we’re never less than.than30to fifty miles.Some rides particularly in the summer tended to be well in excess of these distances occasionally 100miles+no problems back then achieving the metric or half century back then.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  2. Andrew1971

Andrew1971 Senior Member

I have always been alone rider. I like it
    You can do anything you want to.

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

There's a law against that.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  4. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I am really impressed with the local cycle club for the reasons I mentioned upthread. I applied for membership including British Cycling affiliation (£13.00) this weekend and my membership landed on the mat yesterday afternoon. Delivered by bike nonetheless!

The social aspect of medium paced 60-80km rides is really attractive. The intermediate group isn’t nearly as taxing as my audax rides, but that’s the beauty of it. I can enjoy myself instead of hammering out maximum efforts. Loads of time to practice other drills like OOS climbing, aero work, pedal stroke etc. But mainly just natter and enjoy like minded company.

And not one comment on my overly long Audax-style mudflaps or oversized saddle bag. Nice crowd. Nothing to lose.

Smokin Joe, dave r, tom73 and 2 others like this.
  5. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

That's good. As to mudflaps - we have a club policy that riders should (almost must!) have mudguards on winter rides - even on the chaingang - and mudflaps are very much encouraged. If you don't have guards, stay at the back.

Smokin Joe and Heltor Chasca like this.
  6. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

In my case , as I got older so my pace dropped off and I had to work harder to keep up, eventually I stopped enjoying the ride and got fed up with following a wheel on a Sunday morning. To start off with I rode to the cafe on the clubs rides list and as there were several of us who had dropped of the ride about that time I'd either ride back with a friend or in a small group of friends, eventually I started just doing my own lone ride.

Smokin Joe and Heltor Chasca like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice