Wasting my time ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have always been alone rider. I like it
You can do anything you want to.
There's a law against that.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am really impressed with the local cycle club for the reasons I mentioned upthread. I applied for membership including British Cycling affiliation (£13.00) this weekend and my membership landed on the mat yesterday afternoon. Delivered by bike nonetheless!

The social aspect of medium paced 60-80km rides is really attractive. The intermediate group isn’t nearly as taxing as my audax rides, but that’s the beauty of it. I can enjoy myself instead of hammering out maximum efforts. Loads of time to practice other drills like OOS climbing, aero work, pedal stroke etc. But mainly just natter and enjoy like minded company.

And not one comment on my overly long Audax-style mudflaps or oversized saddle bag. Nice crowd. Nothing to lose.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I am really impressed with the local cycle club for the reasons I mentioned upthread. I applied for membership including British Cycling affiliation (£13.00) this weekend and my membership landed on the mat yesterday afternoon. Delivered by bike nonetheless!

The social aspect of medium paced 60-80km rides is really attractive. The intermediate group isn’t nearly as taxing as my audax rides, but that’s the beauty of it. I can enjoy myself instead of hammering out maximum efforts. Loads of time to practice other drills like OOS climbing, aero work, pedal stroke etc. But mainly just natter and enjoy like minded company.

And not one comment on my overly long Audax-style mudflaps or oversized saddle bag. Nice crowd. Nothing to lose.
That's good. As to mudflaps - we have a club policy that riders should (almost must!) have mudguards on winter rides - even on the chaingang - and mudflaps are very much encouraged. If you don't have guards, stay at the back.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think that as you get older you start to enjoy your own company more (Become a miserable old git, in other words). The desire to be one of the gang is strong in your younger years, but diminishes in time.

In my case , as I got older so my pace dropped off and I had to work harder to keep up, eventually I stopped enjoying the ride and got fed up with following a wheel on a Sunday morning. To start off with I rode to the cafe on the clubs rides list and as there were several of us who had dropped of the ride about that time I'd either ride back with a friend or in a small group of friends, eventually I started just doing my own lone ride.

Top Bottom