Wasting my time ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I joined the local running club soon after I moved here in 1998. There was an unwritten rule that if you went for a run on Sunday you wore no club kit.
Did they run in formal wear so that if questioned they could claim to be rushing to a bible reading?
Have toured camped in those parts - i well remember seeing kids swings locked up. Dull sundays of my childhood party time compared to that.

iandg

Legendary Member
Going back to OP, we gave up trying to organise regular weekend rides in Stornoway. With family commitments, the church, the Sunday thing (no shops/cafes open etc.), too many people want to do their own thing and won't commit to a regular meeting time.

The Monday night watt bike sessions and Wednesday night training sessions have however been successful.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I know we have a few members who don't join the club's Sunday rides, as they attend church. As to the rides I organise - I can't always ride with the group, but try and provide a varied programme - a mix of distances, difficulty, routes, café stops, and I try not to repeat routes more than once every 2 months. Attendance varies - last week 14 - fairly average for a fine day. (even in winter) If the weather is really bad we still have a hard core of maybe 5 or 6. Numbers have tailed off over the post Olympics/Wiggo years - we were having to split into 2 or more groups, but it had become tricky coping with more than 12 - 15 anyway, especially with regard to overwhelming small cafes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

Following member requests a 'Dead Badgers whilst cycling' thread has been started in General Cycling Discussions. Apologies re the uninspiring title - my imagination reserves seem to be depleted today.

@Globalti 's post has been left in-situ within this thread as the DB was only mentioned in passing and is therefore not OT.

The Osprey post has been left in-situ for the poster to delete if they wish. It could be moved to the DB thread but that might prompt complaints re Ospreys are an entirely different critter to a DB and what's it doing in the DB thread? ^_^

And no, this may be a tad Ospreyish but we are not starting an Osprey thread. :thumbsup: :smile:

Mod note:

Following member requests a 'Dead Badgers whilst cycling' thread has been started in General Cycling Discussions. Apologies re the uninspiring title - my imagination reserves seem to be depleted today.

@Globalti 's post has been left in-situ within this thread as the DB was only mentioned in passing and is therefore not OT.

The Osprey post has been left in-situ for the poster to delete if they wish. It could be moved to the DB thread but that might prompt complaints re Ospreys are an entirely different critter to a DB and what's it doing in the DB thread. ^_^
Not a mod note you'll see everyday folks!

Crankarm

Guru
Maybe you should wash your cycling kit more often?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
For most of my cycling career I was a clubman and loved it. The more that came out on the runs the better, but now I'm at that certain age I much prefer cycling alone and indeed dread the thought of someone joining me. They are either too slow, or (Much more often now) too fast, and it is such a chore to either pootle round while you want to press on or shag yourself silly trying to keep up with someone quicker.

Plus they always expect me to explain why I'm risking certain death. I won't go into detail by using the H word as it will only cause trouble.

bladderhead

I agree with SuperHans123. And Smokin Joe. And as to the H word, neither do I. But diamond-frame riders who have gone over their handlebars are disqualified from talking to recumbent riders about safety.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Going out when YOU want, stopping when you want, changing routes at the drop of a hat, unscheduled cake stops, unashamedly pushing up a small hill 'cos you can't be assed, taking the odd daft selfie. These are just some of the joys of cycling alone.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Going out when YOU want, stopping when you want, changing routes at the drop of a hat, unscheduled cake stops, unashamedly pushing up a small hill 'cos you can't be assed, taking the odd daft selfie. These are just some of the joys of cycling alone.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm a bit anti social going out mostly on my own, then I remember why I enjoy it so much!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Cycling alone is massively underrated.

I dunno about that.

I massively rate it.

In addition to all the benefits you've listed, you can sing loudly and very badly, and don't get your kit, or bike, or pace judged by fellow riders.

The groups I see out and about look rather homogenised, but then I guess that's almost the point of a club, that sense of belonging ??

Top Bottom