Wasting my time ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never got to do cycling proficiency, my mum was dead against cycling for some reason.

It did mean I based most of my school friend choices largely around whether or not they owned a bicycle, I could use.

Then got one at earliest opportunity, and never stopped cycling since.
Nothing like a streak of rebellion to spur one into action :angel:

I insisted on doing cycling proficiency. Though the only reason I won that particular argument was that I was missing art lessons to do it. I think if it had been any other class, It would have been a very firm and definite "no" from the parental units.

I wasn't allowed to fo art GCSE either.

You would fit in nicely with a flat bar leisure group, as opposed to a road club.

There probably is such a thing on your patch - facebook has is uses.

Of course, if group riding isn't for you that's an end to it.

Hmm, I never knew such things existed.

Have never cycled in a group, so I don't know whether it really is my thing or not. Might be worth looking up and trying. If I don't try, I'll never know.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm, I never knew such things existed.

Have never cycled in a group, so I don't know whether it really is my thing or not. Might be worth looking up and trying. If I don't try, I'll never know.
A friend went out with his sister on a local CTC ride. The average speed was low and they had 3 cafe stops on a fairly short ride. She loved it; he got very impatient and stopped going out with them. Maybe that kind of ride would suit you though?

I'm in-between these days. My average speed on rides tends to be 15-20 km/hr (9.5-12.5 miles/hr), but that is over very hilly terrain. I would probably average more like 24-28 km/hr (15-17.5 miles/hr) on a flat route if riding solo.

A friend went out with his sister on a local CTC ride. The average speed was low and they had 3 cafe stops on a fairly short ride. She loved it; he got very impatient and stopped going out with them. Maybe that kind of ride would suit you though?

I'm in-between these days. My average speed on rides tends to be 15-20 km/hr (9.5-12.5 miles/hr), but that is over very hilly terrain. I would probably average more like 24-28 km/hr (15-17.5 miles/hr) on a flat route if riding solo.

Maybe. Too many cafe stops might prove problematic at the rate at which I drink tea... :laugh:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
We need you to move down here @Reynard

I’ve just been out on a Saturday and a Sunday ride with the local club to try them out. They have a steady, intermediate and fast group. The first being around 15kph and the latter 30kph. The social aspect seems to be important factor in the slower two of the 3 groups. I think it’s brilliant that such a small club can be so flexible and accommodating.

We need you to move down here @Reynard

I’ve just been out on a Saturday and a Sunday ride with the local club to try them out. They have a steady, intermediate and fast group. The first being around 15kph and the latter 30kph. The social aspect seems to be important factor in the slower two of the 3 groups. I think it’s brilliant that such a small club can be so flexible and accommodating.

Sounds pretty neat. :okay:

My experience with the local club is being overtaken at a great rate of knots. But at least they're always cheery while doing it. :laugh:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
For me, just the idea of rules and not being able to do what I want, when I want means I will always cycle on my own and occasionally with one good mate who is also a hybrid snert like me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I never quite got the the "The further the distance, the faster we go". You don't run a marathon faster than the 100 metres. There ought to be options for riding further but at a gentler pace. Many would be able to ride further, if the pace was slower.
I think from a club point of view the problem is time. A slower longer ride will take up pretty much the whole day and people's other commitments mean you'll get a low take up if such a ride is run regularly.

My former club did an annual London-Brighton-London 100 miler, as a special event which was very popular but only as a one off.

The faster riders did longer rides too but I never tried those as I knew it would end in tears.

The slower riders that I did go out with at the club were not habitual long distance riders. Although riders with good endurance who are also incapable of going fast are not an impossibility (I'm an example) most of the riders in a given club capable of riding 150-200k regularly will also be quicker riders. It's just the nature of things.

I guess that's why audax was invented.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
For me, just the idea of rules and not being able to do what I want, when I want means I will always cycle on my own and occasionally with one good mate who is also a hybrid snert like me.

This totally me too.
Although uncertain about 'snert' I do ride a hybrid..

Yes even for touring, and worse still its not steel !!
(waits to be modded off)

I will ride with others, occasionally. but only if they promise to be as annoying as me.

Ie stop or start on a whim, screech to a halt to take a picture of a nice view, sometimes dawdle, other times go as fast as possible.

Meet up at some point, for cake, or stay together, it's having the freedom, and flexibility that's the joy, of cycling to me.

Never really been a pack animal.

But each, very much to their own.

bladderhead

If I am any kind of snert I am a recumbent snert. Both my bikes are aluminium, but with some carbon bits. One of them even has some titanium. Anything but steel. But the best kind of diamond-frame is an old steel racer.

Is it alright to ride one of those on Sunday?

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I think being a hybrid snert makes a difference also as I think there is no competitive edge to leisure cycling.
Roadies do seem to want to challenge themselves to faster split times, KOMs etc, which is all fine and to have someone to bounce off in terms of beating records etc can be enjoyable and motivational.
I used to play local football and for me, that was competitive sport but when I am mooching around on the bike, it is more of a hobby with free health benefits.

pawl

Legendary Member
I think from a club point of view the problem is time. A slower longer ride will take up pretty much the whole day and people's other commitments mean you'll get a low take up if such a ride is run regularly.

My former club did an annual London-Brighton-London 100 miler, as a special event which was very popular but only as a one off.

The faster riders did longer rides too but I never tried those as I knew it would end in tears.

The slower riders that I did go out with at the club were not habitual long distance riders. Although riders with good endurance who are also incapable of going fast are not an impossibility (I'm an example) most of the riders in a given club capable of riding 150-200k regularly will also be quicker riders. It's just the nature of things.

I guess that's why audax was invented.

Back in the dim and distant pass(1955)I joined the local CTC section.Rides then were always all day rides and always had a definite destination. Alton Towers Trentham Gardens,this was long before they became theme parks.

CTC appointed tea place mid day .Large pot of tea and eat your own sandwiches.Tea time,another CTC establishment.Rides always planned three months in advance.

Checked one of the clubs local to me and they go same route.same.Cafe stop and return

Club runs back then we’re never less than.than30to fifty miles.Some rides particularly in the summer tended to be well in excess of these distances occasionally 100miles+no problems back then achieving the metric or half century back then.

Top Bottom