Watch out for other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Niether the right time or right place for such petty nit picking.

@annedonnelly how are you feeling today, mentally and physically.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Ooh he's smart.

I was pleased to get home to mine. I have only two at the minute. One is a very elderly and disabled hen who is a lovely creamy colour. I believe she was a cross between an albino and a lutino. Her boyfriend is more the standard green with yellow face.

The one in my avatar is no longer with me. He was a rather tame bird as he'd been handled by the breeders from being a tiny chick.

Off to follow your link now. Thanks
Anne, Here's another half-sider, Twinzy, and another, Houdini Half-sider budgies and a finch and lobster too!

When I was a kid growing up in a flat in NYC,we were not allowed to have cats or dogs, but birds were okay. My first feathery friend ever was Chico, a beautiful turquoise budgie like the one in your avatar. Loved that boy. He so loved to sing to himself in his mirror! I have since then had other bird-friends in my life… budgies, two grey-cheeked parakeets (they looked more like lovebirds) quaker parakeets, both green and blue, and even an African grey parrot for many years. All such good little friends. Except for Cisco, my African Gray (Timneh) who wasn't that little!

Now Mrs. Kayaker and I share our even smaller flat in Maryland right outside of Washington DC with our 2 old kitty boys, Benny, 15yo (green eyes) and Charlie, 17yo, both shown here napping a few minutes ago (for a change.)

But isn't it great having wonderful non-human friends in our life?

0625D485-1CB6-4CA4-9F9E-703AD675BB56.jpeg
D080280F-3E54-4D13-8E3C-1E7D53562C87.jpeg

Get Well Soon!

You call it nonsense, but at 15:38 there was no legal requirements for lights to be used. The clothing and headphones are just nonsense by drivers who don't want to take responsibility for their driving.
At that time, given the weather/the rain/the amount of traffic/her almost invisibility amongst vehicular headlights, it was a fairly daft way to ride

If I'd been some ranting 'Daily Fail' reader, why, yes!, I may need it pointing out that I ought to see her:okay::whistle:
However, riders like this don't help the cause for the rest of us

I know, that if I was riding at that time, with that weather, all of mine would have been on
(& maybe even my '360' jacket)

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
At that time, given the weather/the rain/the amount of traffic/her almost invisibility amongst vehicular headlights, it was a fairly daft way to ride

If I'd been some ranting 'Daily Fail' reader, may, yes!, I may need it pointing out that I ought to see her:okay::whistle:
However, riders like this don't help the cause for the rest of us

I know, that if I was riding at that time, with that weather, all of mine would have been on
(& maybe even my '360' jacket)
Me too. I'm a long way from the 'lights all the time DRL' brigade, but on those gloomy, bad weather days, especially when passing in and out of shade under tree cover etc I will put my commuting lights on flash to make sure drivers have a chance of seeing the otherwise shadowy figure moving in the shadows. I also don't wear hi-viz as I have seen first hand how it merges into the background in busy urban environments! There is no 'one size fits all' remedy, but a decent (and I don't mean the cheap Chinese retina burning dazzlers!) set of lights improve your chances in low light/dark conditions immeasurably.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
@roadrash Thanks for asking. I've been to the fracture clinic today. Bit of a tiring trip even though I was collected and dropped off by ambulance. Bonus that both of the team on the first ambulance were cyclists :smile:

Nurse took the stitches out at the clinic and everyone is pleased that it's healing well. A doctor popped in and said I looked a lot better than when he last saw me but I think that was immediately after the operation so I probably wasn't at my best!

Got a phone interview tomorrow with my rehab key worker and then back to hospital on Thursday to get my fractured vertebrae looked.

Upsetting thing today though was looking at the state of my bike. My brother got it out of the garage and took some photos. I haven't cried over my own injuries but thinking of my poor bike sets me off 😭

Here's a couple of the pics. Don't think the forks are supposed to be like that.

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_113757.jpg
    IMG_20211207_113757.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211207_113924.jpg
    IMG_20211207_113924.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 16

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
@roadrash Thanks for asking. I've been to the fracture clinic today. Bit of a tiring trip even though I was collected and dropped off by ambulance. Bonus that both of the team on the first ambulance were cyclists :smile:

Nurse took the stitches out at the clinic and everyone is pleased that it's healing well. A doctor popped in and said I looked a lot better than when he last saw me but I think that was immediately after the operation so I probably wasn't at my best!

Got a phone interview tomorrow with my rehab key worker and then back to hospital on Thursday to get my fractured vertebrae looked.

Upsetting thing today though was looking at the state of my bike. My brother got it out of the garage and took some photos. I haven't cried over my own injuries but thinking of my poor bike sets me off 😭

Here's a couple of the pics. Don't think the forks are supposed to be like that.
Is it a Halfords bike? :laugh:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
@kayakerles A budgie picture is bound to cheer anyone up.

You've had quite a variety. I've had a couple of canaries but apart from that only budgies. When we were kids at home we just had single birds. The first was hand tamed and a great pet for children. He played with us a lot.

Since I've lived alone and go out to work all day it's not fair to have a single bird so I usually have four. There are just two now because of Fidget being old and disabled. I don't want to add young ones to the cage. Normally the cage door is left open so they can fly free. For a long time their favourite place to perch was the curtain rail. Though that meant they couldn't be seen by the passing school children who do like to see them :smile:

I did try to remember the names of all the ones I've had the other day but got stuck at 18. I think I've forgotten some. Sadly I don't have photos of many of them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As I have mentioned - it was not illegal. Why don't you pop outside and start telling pedestrians and trees that they should have lights and high vis.

Unless you were in the vicinity at the same time, how can you know what conditions were like, ie, visibility? It may not have been “official lights on” time, but, should lights be used also at times of poor visibility?

If you were in the same vicinity at the relevant time, ok, you know the conditions.

Alex321

Veteran

Ooof. No, they aren't. I cause mine to g a similar shape once as a teenager - by riding into the back of a parked car.

That definitely looks like you hit something solid - possibly after being knocked off course by being hit from behind?

Just hope you make a full and fairly speedy recovery. The bike can be repaired, it is harder to repair yourself.

Top Bottom