Watch out for other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's an older chap near me who regularly rides in the early morning and rarely uses lights. You can get a set for a fiver so there's no excuse is there?

He also has a habit of hopping off the pavement into the road without looking. One day it won't be me behind him, it'll be someone who takes a lot less care.
If so, it'll be the dangerous move (one of the top five casualty moves IIRC, but causing far fewer injuries than left hooks, right crosses or motorists failing to stop) that is the main factor in his downfall. That would still be an unwise move if he had lights.

Also, a five quid set will only be legal if it is blinkies, which are pretty unlikely to be significant in an area with streetlights.

Unlit cyclists are underrepresented in casualties, less than 3% despite them being pretty common AFAICT. They are simply not worth much of our time. Let's focus on bigger problems, like cyclists apparently riding too close behind and not leaving safe stopping distance...

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Need to watch out for the Ninja-Riders too

I took daughter back to York last night, after dark
We went up the western 'bypass' & into the city along the A19 (Rawcliffe, towards Clifton)

I counted 9 riders
2 had front & rear lights
5 had front only (opposing side didn't appear in the mirrors)
2 had none at all

There were also a couple of the cycle-path/footpath over the Ouse bridge)

None of these looked like young kids, who as we all know are immortal
They appeared to be (from what I could tell) Uni students/mums going to shop/home from work/commuters

I realise that the vast majority of drivers around York are used to cyclists, but it seemed as though htey're attempting 'suicide by proxy' around there:wacko::wacko::wacko:
There's an older chap near me who regularly rides in the early morning and rarely uses lights. You can get a set for a fiver so there's no excuse is there?

He also has a habit of hopping off the pavement into the road without looking. One day it won't be me behind him, it'll be someone who takes a lot less care.
Add to Richard's list of York miscreants the ones (often, but not exclusively, without lights) who's immediate action when encountering pedestrians on the footpath is to swerve into the oncoming traffic rather than slow down.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Only just seen this thread as at the time of your OP I was in hospital in Madeira having my shoulder reconnected after a walking fall.

Sadly, I have long and multiple experiences of injury and rehab... mostly my own fault. My key advice would be to not simply rely on NHS Physio/OT - find a good private sports physio. NHS are verbal assessment plus exercise sheets as per NHS protocol. Sports Physios are Hands-on and personised programmes. No criticism of NHS, just saying it as it is.

Chin up. It gets easier day by day. Maybe keep a daily diary so that when you get a downer, you can check back to see that you are actually getting better.
+1 from me on this one re the physio. It took me ages to get to finally see someone after my elbow op. He was good but it was the time I could have spent doing the rehab earlier if I'd known what I was doing that I still think is causing me issues now.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I hope I wasn't stationary. There was no reason to stop at that point.

Sounds like I've been sandwiched between bikes with him on top. He was forced to stay on top of me until he'd been checked over. I guess that could be a while depending on how long the ambulances took to arrive.

Someone said there'd been three ambulances but I don't think my bike got one of her own :smile: My poor neighbour got a shock to see my bike arrive home without me. But had the sense to realise I was being looked after and that she'd have a pair of hungry budgies to feed.
A pretty budgie to sing you back to good health, or at least to stand tall and watch over you while you recover, Anne.

794955DB-05C0-4CD3-96FD-5CFBC066505E.jpeg
Yes, he’s real, not a photoshop creation. Skip to the bottom of Wikipedia’s pitch for donations to read about Half-siders.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-sider_budgerigar Then search the net for MORE half-sider budgies!

Heal well & fully, Anne.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Ooh he's smart.

I was pleased to get home to mine. I have only two at the minute. One is a very elderly and disabled hen who is a lovely creamy colour. I believe she was a cross between an albino and a lutino. Her boyfriend is more the standard green with yellow face.

The one in my avatar is no longer with me. He was a rather tame bird as he'd been handled by the breeders from being a tiny chick.

Off to follow your link now. Thanks

Mo1959

Legendary Member
A pretty budgie to sing you back to good health, or at least to stand tall and watch over you while you recover, Anne.

View attachment 620978 Yes, he’s real, not a photoshop creation. Skip to the bottom of Wikipedia’s pitch for donations to read about Half-siders.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-sider_budgerigar Then search the net for MORE half-sider budgies!

Heal well & fully, Anne.
Wow. He’s gorgeous.

They are great little characters if handled early and often. I had a blue boy that was out flying around the house and involved in whatever we were doing most of the day.

In York again, as l type (@15:38)
It’s cloudy, raining, almost every vehicle has lights on &… I’ve just seen on the A19, between the ‘ring-road’ & Clifton Green, a lass;
Black (or navy coat), black bike, black rucksack,
No lights…
Headphones in (little white ones)

Stupid, to the point of suicidal!

Doubtless though, if l had been able to stop & ask, she’d probably not see anything wrong with what she was doing
That’s part of the problem, people don’t see, or understand, the consequences

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In York again, as l type (@15:38)
It’s cloudy, raining, almost every vehicle has lights on &… I’ve just seen on the A19, between the ‘ring-road’ & Clifton Green, a lass;
Black (or navy coat), black bike, black rucksack,
No lights…
Headphones in (little white ones)

Stupid, to the point of suicidal!

Doubtless though, if l had been able to stop & ask, she’d probably not see anything wrong with what she was doing
That’s part of the problem, people don’t see, or understand, the consequences
Bolded the relevant bit for you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Let's not start that nonsense as it has nothing to do with the OP. Yes, drivers must look out for vulnerable road users, but it is a legal requirement for cyclists to use lights when on the road in the dark and IMO that requirement is not unreasonable.
These cyclists really aren't helping themselves or the drivers.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Let's not start that nonsense as it has nothing to do with the OP. Yes, drivers must look out for vulnerable road users, but it is a legal requirement for cyclists to use lights when on the road in the dark and IMO that requirement is not unreasonable.
These cyclists really aren't helping themselves or the drivers.
You call it nonsense, but at 15:38 there was no legal requirements for lights to be used. The clothing and headphones are just nonsense by drivers who don't want to take responsibility for their driving.

Alex321

Veteran
That was the least relevant part of his post.

The fact that as another cyclist, he saw her is completely irrelevant to the point that (illegally) riding without lights or even reflective clothing is just plain stupid.

Whether you might believe that a motorist travelling at the speed limit should see her doesn't really matter if she is dead because she wasn't seen.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That was the least relevant part of his post.

The fact that as another cyclist, he saw her is completely irrelevant to the point that (illegally) riding without lights or even reflective clothing is just plain stupid.

Whether you might believe that a motorist travelling at the speed limit should see her doesn't really matter if she is dead because she wasn't seen.
As I have mentioned - it was not illegal. Why don't you pop outside and start telling pedestrians and trees that they should have lights and high vis.

Alex321

Veteran
As I have mentioned - it was not illegal. Why don't you pop outside and start telling pedestrians and trees that they should have lights and high vis.
I missed the time, but that doesn't stop it being stupid. 5 minutes before sunset, rather than half an hour after, it is still pretty dark at this time of year.

And pedestrians who are going to be walking in the road (as opposed to just crossing it reasonably quickly) most certainly should be wearing high vis and/or lights in those conditions. Round here most of those do IME. I have no idea why you expect me to "pop outside" to tell them though. Nor why you bring trees into it.

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I missed the time, but that doesn't stop it being stupid. 5 minutes before sunset, rather than half an hour after, it is still pretty dark at this time of year.

And pedestrians who are going to be walking in the road (as opposed to just crossing it reasonably quickly) most certainly should be wearing high vis and/or lights in those conditions. Round here most of those do IME. I have no idea why you expect me to "pop outside" to tell them though. Nor why you bring trees into it.
Why should they? The onus is on the driver not to run over cyclists, pedestrians or even trees no matter what they are wearing. All talk of anything else is just diverting the problem away from those who need to be taking care. Do you think women should not to wear a short skirt in case they get raped?

Top Bottom