Watch out for other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I the only one to be a bit shocked that the other rider hasn't been in touch to at least check on @annedonnelly ? Even a formal exchange of details?

I hate to be señor negative but you've had a traumatic experience. As well as the physical recovery there may well be a mental recovery needed too. I don't know if you've been offered any kind of psych consult but it may be something to ask about, especially given that you can't recall the details. Things may start being remembered in flashes at inopportune times. Even just a chat to learn about how the brain is processing all this may be helpful.

Best of luck

GM

Legendary Member
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Anne!

classic33

Leg End Member
Am I the only one to be a bit shocked that the other rider hasn't been in touch to at least check on @annedonnelly ? Even a formal exchange of details?

I hate to be señor negative but you've had a traumatic experience. As well as the physical recovery there may well be a mental recovery needed too. I don't know if you've been offered any kind of psych consult but it may be something to ask about, especially given that you can't recall the details. Things may start being remembered in flashes at inopportune times. Even just a chat to learn about how the brain is processing all this may be helpful.

Best of luck
They may have tried the hospital but been refused entry, as many hospitals are doing at present. Even to family.

Not excusing them if they haven't even tried, as you say even just to check on the other person involved.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
The "wanton and furious cycling" thing needs the incident to be seen by a policeman if that's the one you're referring to.
That's true, but that's why I didn't quote the 1861 Offences Agaisnt the Person Act which is where you'll find WaFR.

I was thinking of Section 28 of the Highways Act 1988:

28 Dangerous cycling.
(1) A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above a person is to be regarded as riding dangerously if (and only if)—
(a) the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful cyclist, and
(b) it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that riding in that way would be dangerous.
(3) In subsection (2) above “dangerous” refers to danger either of injury to any person or of serious damage to property; and in determining for the purposes of that subsection what would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused.

See also Section 168 about failure to give a name and address.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's true, but that's why I didn't quote the 1861 Offences Agaisnt the Person Act which is where you'll find WaFR.

I was thinking of Section 28 of the Highways Act 1988:

28 Dangerous cycling.
(1) A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above a person is to be regarded as riding dangerously if (and only if)—
(a) the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful cyclist, and
(b) it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that riding in that way would be dangerous.
(3) In subsection (2) above “dangerous” refers to danger either of injury to any person or of serious damage to property; and in determining for the purposes of that subsection what would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused.

See also Section 168 about failure to give a name and address.
Does that apply to cycle paths as it says road?

They may have tried the hospital but been refused entry, as many hospitals are doing at present. Even to family.

Not excusing them if they haven't even tried, as you say even just to check on the other person involved.
That's true and there are possible legal considerations too.
However, I still find it odd that not even a card/letter was handed in.
Anne has no idea what happened to her and the one person who does is silent. It's not a good look.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's true and there are possible legal considerations too.
However, I still find it odd that not even a card/letter was handed in.
Anne has no idea what happened to her and the one person who does is silent. It's not a good look.
I agree with you on that part, it doesn't look good for the other party.
Maybe they'll make contact when they know she's out of hospital.

Maybe it's a reflection of how we value another persons life these days. Hopefully not though.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I agree with you on that part, it doesn't look good for the other party.
Maybe they'll make contact when they know she's out of hospital.

Maybe it's a reflection of how we value another persons life these days. Hopefully not though.
I think it says more about the pervasive culture of not admitting liability (or not taking responsibility for your actions).

DiggyGun

The only cyclist that crashed into me is the wife. Mind you I was off the bike and it was there on its stand. Unfortunately, the wife came off and got some grazing to her arm. Fortunately, apart from the graze she was alright. The only damage to the bikes, was that my rear light got smashed, but had to re-position some parts on her bike.

It transpired that when using the rear brake, she activated the twist throttle at the same time, which I didn’t realise that she did this. She has very small hands and the reach to the brake levers was a little bit too far, even though adjusted all the way in.

She confessed that this had happened a few times but hadn’t told me. To prevent this happening again, I disconnected the throttle, just pulled the connectors apart and taped them up.

We looked at getting a thumb throttle, but she said that she never used it much, so not a problem. Good news is that she can now she can brake safely.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Now that I'm home I hope to get someone on the case to find out more. Am I correct that BC will help if you join now even if not a member when the incident occurred?

I have the address of the nurse to send gift to but I won't be hopping round to see her anytime soon. Apparently another passing driver stopped and he had seen what happened. The nurse only saw me come off but not the cause.

I was slightly horrified when the OT showed me my recovery targets. Back to work in six months and back on the bike in twelve!!!!
As we're working from home I hope to be able to do something before Christmas. Once I have some energy back I'll be bored silly if I can't do something. And I'd hate to be off the bike for a year.

Today's highlight is discovering that my expensive cheddar wasn't thrown out when my fridge was cleaned out :biggrin:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wasn't a BC member or have specific cycling insurance when my accident occured.
Luckily the BC partner legal firm Leigh Day take cases on as a no win no fee basis and dealt with my case brilliantly and were successful in achieving a settlement from the guilty party on my behalf. I can recommend you contact them as a good starting point. :okay:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Am I correct that BC will help if you join now even if not a member when the incident occurred?

From here...

BritishCycling said:
What is not covered?
Unfortunately, the British Cycling Incident Helpline and British Cycling’s solicitors will not support a legal action:

• against another British Cycling member. (<<<<<< not very helpful, that one, if the person happens to be a member)
  • against a member of one’s immediate family.
  • where there is a conflict of interest between a member and British Cycling eg. where a claim may be against an organiser or official of a British Cycling registered event(2).
  • involving contractual, sale of goods and services or product liability issues such as faulty bikes or equipment (see below for information on assistance available if you have injuries which may have been caused by a defect with your bike).
  • involving criminal legal advice or representation.
  • where the incident takes place outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands (see below for information on assistance available if you are involved in an incident abroad).
  • where membership was not current at the time of the incident(3).
  • where the incident involves a Ride member taking part in a competitive race or time trial.
  • where the incident involves a Commute member taking part in cycling events or group cycling activities involving multiple participants, such as races, sportives, club rides and group rides.
(2) this refers to an event that has been formally registered with British Cycling, appears on our published event calendar and is insured under British Cycling’s liability insurance policy.
(3) in these circumstances our solicitors may still be able to provide assistance but under different terms and conditions.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Now that I'm home I hope to get someone on the case to find out more. Am I correct that BC will help if you join now even if not a member when the incident occurred?

I have the address of the nurse to send gift to but I won't be hopping round to see her anytime soon. Apparently another passing driver stopped and he had seen what happened. The nurse only saw me come off but not the cause.

I was slightly horrified when the OT showed me my recovery targets. Back to work in six months and back on the bike in twelve!!!!
As we're working from home I hope to be able to do something before Christmas. Once I have some energy back I'll be bored silly if I can't do something. And I'd hate to be off the bike for a year.

Today's highlight is discovering that my expensive cheddar wasn't thrown out when my fridge was cleaned out :biggrin:
maybe look an e bike/e trike to get riding sooner dependant on recovery? best wishes on a quick recovery , i have only been off the bike for a week and looking at 8 weeks before im back at work and im already bouncing off the walls !

Top Bottom