Watch out for other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dale 1956

Normally I worry about being whacked from behind by a car. I woke up in hospital on Wednesday with various injuries apparently having been hit from behind by another cyclist. It's probably good that I have no memory from slightly before the incident on Tuesday morning. I've various injuries including broken ribs, broken collar bone, two broken vertebrae and I now have lots of metal work in my knee. The bruising is pretty impressive now.
View attachment 618812

I haven't seen the bike but it's pretty bashed too. Going to be off my feet for at least six weeks :sad:
I know the feeling all to well I was hit to on my bicycle back in 2015 the lady was 71 at the time she was on the phone or something my big dummy bicycle was a total lost and part of my upper back was broken.But I have move on and still riding now too.Best wish to you to get well soon.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Really sorry to hear about this - and at the hands of a fellow cyclist too :rolleyes:

Wishing you a swift recovery - if it's any consolation, as a fair weather cyclist I suspect I'll be getting about as much riding in as you will be over the next three months!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know if Big Brother Google really IS watching us, but shortly after reading this thread I went on YouTube, and this was the first video suggested...

DEFINITELY watch out for other cyclists! I had a rider do that to me in Spain, only I managed not to fall off. Let me see if I can find my post...

Here you go:

A fellow cyclist on a training camp on the Costa Blanca!

Being in Spain, we were riding on the RH side of the road. We were riding through the coastal town of Calpe, on a road we had already done about 3 or 4 times earlier in the holiday, so we knew the way, following the coastal road NE towards Moraira.

So, I was at the back of the bunch chatting to a rider on my left. The rest of the group carried straight on at a big roundabout (here), and I went to do the same. The rider I was talking to apparently had other ideas and went to turn right across me. We ended up leaning on each other and wobbling off to the right, before coming to a halt. I asked him what he was playing at and he said that he had decided to go and take a look at the seafront ... WTF! :wacko:

:eek:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
maybe look an e bike/e trike to get riding sooner dependant on recovery? best wishes on a quick recovery , i have only been off the bike for a week and looking at 8 weeks before im back at work and im already bouncing off the walls !
Someone nearby has an e-cargo bike that I've been lusting after for a while so you never know...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm afraid the coppers have done what they increasingly do - focused on brushing @annedonnelly off rather than any possible prosecution.

Put another way, you can rest assured had Anne suffered fatal injuries the coppers would be taking a more active interest.

Having said that, fault is far from clear.

Front damage to the bike could suggest Anne clouted something which caused her to fall into the path of the following cyclist.

A competent and careful cyclist could not reasonably be expected to foresee that, which would absolve him of blame.

By the way Anne, was it your trusty Edinburgh Bicycles/Revolution hybrid which was damaged?

I know you were very fond of that one, having been on many adventures with it.

:ohmy: That's some damage, heal well @annedonnelly :hugs:

I can only remember being hit once from behind by another cyclist. About 14 years ago I was second row in a chaingang (although we hadn't actually started the chain gang as we were still in the city). The rider in front gave the shout and stopped and I passed on the message and stopped behind. The rider behind didn't though although the 2 lines behind him did :wacko:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

@Pale Rider Yes my trusty Revolution :sad: My brother and a friend have both checked it out but I'm not brave enough to get them to show it to me yet. I'll be heartbroken if she has to be written off. I'd never get another like that one.

@HLaB As far as I know I wasn't involved in a chain gang :smile: I'm never keen to have others cycling close to me and now I know why!!

One good thing though - the miserable weather we're having at the minute means I'm happy to stay indoors and send others out for my shopping. And I have masses of sympathy for the poor carers who had to visit here in the ice and snow earlier in the week. Two of them had come off their bikes :sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does that apply to cycle paths as it says road?
Yes. Later in the act, it says "“road”
(a) in relation to England and Wales, means any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes,"

Legally, a so-called "cycle path" is normally a cycleway within a highway, whether with or without a right of way on foot, whether alongside a carriageway or alone. A permissive cycle path would be an example of an "other road".

PK99

Legendary Member
I was slightly horrified when the OT showed me my recovery targets. Back to work in six months and back on the bike in twelve!!!!

Only just seen this thread as at the time of your OP I was in hospital in Madeira having my shoulder reconnected after a walking fall.

Sadly, I have long and multiple experiences of injury and rehab... mostly my own fault. My key advice would be to not simply rely on NHS Physio/OT - find a good private sports physio. NHS are verbal assessment plus exercise sheets as per NHS protocol. Sports Physios are Hands-on and personised programmes. No criticism of NHS, just saying it as it is.

Chin up. It gets easier day by day. Maybe keep a daily diary so that when you get a downer, you can check back to see that you are actually getting better.

Need to watch out for the Ninja-Riders too

I took daughter back to York last night, after dark
We went up the western 'bypass' & into the city along the A19 (Rawcliffe, towards Clifton)

I counted 9 riders
2 had front & rear lights
5 had front only (opposing side didn't appear in the mirrors)
2 had none at all

There were also a couple of the cycle-path/footpath over the Ouse bridge)

None of these looked like young kids, who as we all know are immortal
They appeared to be (from what I could tell) Uni students/mums going to shop/home from work/commuters

I realise that the vast majority of drivers around York are used to cyclists, but it seemed as though htey're attempting 'suicide by proxy' around there:wacko::wacko::wacko:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

There's an older chap near me who regularly rides in the early morning and rarely uses lights. You can get a set for a fiver so there's no excuse is there?

He also has a habit of hopping off the pavement into the road without looking. One day it won't be me behind him, it'll be someone who takes a lot less care.

Top Bottom