Watch out for other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How's the patient today? Hope things are progressing in the right direction.

I just reread your original post about the incident and spotted your comment about not remembering anything from slightly before the collision. It's funny how that happens, it was the same for me. I didn't, and never have regained any memory of my RTA and the few seconds before.
I remember approaching the traffic lights (on green) but from that point have nothing of the car approaching me, the impact, or of my trajectory after the collision. The only thing I ever managed to scrape out of the recesses of my mind was a momentary flash view of the car when it was about 18" from hitting me. I even asked the police days later if the car that hit me was a black hatchback something like a Focus (which is exactly what it was).
The lack of memory can be problematic for trying to make sense of what happened. It was days after the accident before I got to talk to the police to even confirm where the accident had occured. Until then I was just guessing and even wondered if it might have been my fault. Luckily once I knew where it was I knew I was in the clear. If it had been a few junctions later with no memory of the intervening journey I wouldn't have had a clue!

Anne, I'm sure you must be wracking your brain trying to work it all out but by the sound of it you were not at all at fault so don't start doubting yourself if you never get a clear memory of the incident.

Anyway, godspeed with the recovery and hope you are soon mended and back on the bike :hugs:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hi guys. My friend looked at the bike today and it's the front that has been totalled. Bent forks and knackered wheel. So if I was hit from behind did I also go into something? There's a lot of street furniture on the cycle path at the point I think the incident happened.

I was pretty upset after that news. First tears really. I'll be disappointed if there was something I could've done to avoid it and save all this hassle. I'm pleased that so far I have no memory, but I would really like to know what happened.

I cannot believe how tiring everything is. Just hopping with a frame from one side of the bed to the other completely wipes me out and I need to rest for ages.

But good news is that I've been cleared to go home. Equipment has been delivered and they just need to sort the support from social services. Could be home by tomorrow tea time. But picked nice meals from tomorrow's menu just in case I'm eating here.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sure you will have people who will help to look after you ?
Yes, it's sorted thanks. Pottering about in the house will be tiring but I can rest whenever I need. Neighbours will do shopping and it's a chance to empty the freezer.

And zero pressure to get back to work.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I spoke to them last night. No one had reported it and they've no similar previous example. Nothing they can do under the law unless there's any suggestion of malicious action. They were very sympathetic but can only suggest civil action.
So it’s not covered by the old cyclists must not “Ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner” from the 1988 Road Traffic Act?

the snail

Guru
So it’s not covered by the old cyclists must not “Ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner” from the 1988 Road Traffic Act?
I'm sure there are laws that cover this, but unless there is clear evidence to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt, nothing is going to happen. Most traffic collisions could probably be prosecuted, but aren't, it's left to the insurance companies to sort out the damage.
GWS Anne.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I'm sure there are laws that cover this, but unless there is clear evidence to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt, nothing is going to happen. Most traffic collisions could probably be prosecuted, but aren't, it's left to the insurance companies to sort out the damage.
GWS Anne.
Noted. I was commenting more on the police response of "what can you do eh?" which seems not strictly accurate.

Top Bottom