Watch this space for bad overtakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Yes so the opposite right turn traffic have there own light.
No
So what do we think the steady stream of oncoming right turn (across mathew) was doing ?
Moving through the junction, we can't state any more than that as we have no idea what there light phasing was at that time.
Either there light was green at the same time as mathews or that they were all just going through a red light.
Or they had a green filter light. Which could very well be the case since matthew went through a very late amber light.
Is it ok to go through this kind od red light as mathew says in his post above ?
If you are in the middle of the road and waiting to make a right turn, then yes. The amber and red light only applies to vehicles that have yet to cross the solid stop line. Although it is not advisable to make a right turn through a large junction if you are just after the stop line. Traffic light phasing can make this dangerous.

My Bold

apollo179

Yes so the opposite right turn traffic have there own light.
No
So what do we think the steady stream of oncoming right turn (across mathew) was doing ?
Moving through the junction, we can't state any more than that as we have no idea what there light phasing was at that time.
Either there light was green at the same time as mathews or that they were all just going through a red light.
Or they had a green filter light. Which could very well be the case since matthew went through a very late amber light.
Is it ok to go through this kind od red light as mathew says in his post above ?
If you are in the middle of the road and waiting to make a right turn, then yes. The amber and red light only applies to vehicles that have yet to cross the solid stop line. Although it is not advisable to make a right turn through a large junction if you are just after the stop line. Traffic light phasing can make this dangerous.

This video shows that they do have there own light.
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view&current=Greenlight.mp4
They presumably arnt going to get a green light before mathews light changes to red so i cant see how all these cars were able to go as mathews light was amber at best.
Is there such a thing as a green light that also requires you to give way to other green light traffic ?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This video shows that they do have there own light.
http://s1132.photobu...=Greenlight.mp4
They presumably arnt going to get a green light before mathews light changes to red so i cant see how all these cars were able to go as mathews light was amber at best.
Is there such a thing as a green light that also requires you to give way to other green light traffic ?

If you actually watch the video then you will see the green filter light is not on all the time.

Again please read what I wrote about how filter lights work. Then you might understand.

I changed my mind, i'll include a description of how it works
The main green light is on for everyone, this means that everyone can go when it is safe to do so. The right turn filter light turns on only when the other directions red light is showing and means that you can go safely as nothing else SHOULD be crossing your path.

I'll add that you should still take caution when using filter lights, as traffic light systems can be broken and people do cycle / drive through amber/red lights.

apollo179

If you actually watch the video then you will see the green filter light is not on all the time.

Again please read what I wrote about how filter lights work. Then you might understand.

I obviously dont understand. I thought all lights were the same kind.
Ive never heard of filter lights before.
Anyway i have enough trouble with normal lights to try and understand some other kind of lights.
Best let sleeping dogs lie.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Innocuous.
Shame you didnt get some footage of the lunatic heckler at your race event cos this one really isnt that noteworthy.

I was umming and arring about having the camera on my bike during the race but thought it would weigh me down too much. (probably wouldnt have made much of a difference in the end though)

apollo179

I was umming and arring about having the camera on my bike during the race but thought it would weigh me down too much. (probably wouldnt have made much of a difference in the end though)

No as you say probably woudnt have materially affected the final standings.(unless one of the other competitors did something unnacceptable and you could use the footage to get him/her disqualified)

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Weigh you down? What camera are you using?

A heavy one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The first one. Your positioning is awful, You are near enough cycling in the gutter. It was a tight road with a car coming towards you. Why didn't you take a primary position to stop any overtake?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The first one. Your positioning is awful, You are near enough cycling in the gutter. It was a tight road with a car coming towards you. Why didn't you take a primary position to stop any overtake?

As it was a crossing, I thought common sense would come to mind and he wouldnt overtake, never mind that close. Clearly people dont have any concept of common sennse when driving.

I repeatedly get plastered with quiries from people on here asking me why I was riding in such a primary position, and now why was a riding in the gutter? I dont think I was riding in the gutter as I was on the right of the cross lines. Plus it was a left hand bend, so I normally pull in a little bit just in case anyone thinks of overtaking me.

It wasnt as if he didnt see the oncoming van, there were railings not fences in the way of his sight.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Unfortunately you invited the overtake. Never assume that drivers have common sense and will do the correct thing.
On a road that tight you must ride more assertively.

You shouldn't 'pull in a little bit' on a left hand bend as cars behind you cannot see clearly what's coming round the bend and probably beyond you. You need to hold your ground there and control the road.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
The vespa left hooking you... I'm assuming you were already turning left as you went round the corner with them, so had signalled your intent... so he/she probably thought it okay to turn down the same road. Not condoning it, just saying how they probably thought about it. Bad left hooking is where they overtake and turn across you when you are continuing straight on... :angry:

Ace Demon

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=RF05EES- Veryagressiveconfrontation.mp4

Now this is not a bad overtake. But it is some extremely agressive behaviour. There was no need for the confrontation and as he was so agressive towards me, I am definately reporting it to the police.

His behaviour is not excusable but I suggest that at the start you could have let him in. Then there appeared to be opportunities where you could have moved over into empty parking areas. The camera perspective might give a deceiving perspective of road width but there seem to be times that you went down the middle of the lane when you could have followed left hand wheel tracks.

Top Bottom