Watch this space for bad overtakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Decided to make a compilation of terrible driving from taxi drivers. Contains 12 taxi's and 1 bus. Its a mixture of close passes, barges, and red light jumps.
Hope you enjoy it. I will try to make a few more of these as the months go on.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=Acompilationoftaxis.mp4

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
As i suspect there is a filter light for the other driver.

There is a filter light but everyone ignores it. I used to believe that you couldnt go through the lights unles the filter was lit. After mentioning it to a learner instructor, he assured me that you are allowed to go through it. I then read up on my highway code and was quite ashamed when I discovered that I had been a numskull to think otherwise.
I keep a copy of important highway code rules with me at all times now.

apollo179

apollo179

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=CW54KLX-SMIDSYNearmiss. mp4
I absolutely cacked myself when this happened. I honestly thought the woman was going to go straight into me. (sorry for the swearing).
I did not go through a red light. I crossed the stop line on an amber. The lights to the other driver remain on green, therefore they did not know that mine were changing.
As you say you went through as amber changed to red. Maybe technically the oncoming car should give way to you but going through on basically a red light it behoves you to establish your safety to proceed.
If you continue to flit through just as lights change to red expecting other traffic to patiently wait for you then we can look forward to many more close miss vids.

apollo179

As i suspect there is a filter light for the other driver.

There is a stready stream of opposite direction traffic right turning across mathews path so presumably the filter light is green at the same time as mathews light is green. So presumably the opposite direction traffic has to give way even on a green light.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
There is a stready stream of opposite direction traffic right turning across mathews path so presumably the filter light is green at the same time as mathews light is green. So presumably the opposite direction traffic has to give way even on a green light.

I will go out today and video the whole lights sequence from the other drivers perpective (obviously not standing in the middle of the road though). Then you will be able to see what they see.

Taken from a previous ride: http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=Greenlight.mp4

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I will go out today and video the whole lights sequence from the other drivers perpective (obviously not standing in the middle of the road though). Then you will be able to see what they see.

Taken from a previous ride: http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=Greenlight.mp4

That video doesn't prove much, but i will explain how filter lights work.

There are two ways that filter lights work. Firstly you have the kind you are displaying here.
The main green light is on for everyone, this means that everyone can go when it is safe to do so. The right turn filter light turns on only when the other directions red light is showing and means that you can go safely as nothing else SHOULD be crossing your path.

The second set looks like this, all forms of traffic are controlled by a filter light and you can only move past the stopped line and turn when your filter light is showing.

Depending on the timing of the lights, as soon as yours goes red then the other side gets the green filter light and it is there turn to go. They should of course still be looking out for other road users but they won't always. At junctions like this it is in your best interest to stop as soon as the amber is shown to avoid incidences like this. I have a similar traffic light system in my area which I avoid because people regularly do stuff like this.

I explained above how filter lights work, that can only happen if the traffic light sequence is broken.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=DE06MDN-Lefthook.mp4
It wasnt exactly a left hook, but I very nearly went into the back of him. I dont know why he stopped at the junction because he could have easily fitted past the car waiting.

Some people don't have much spacial awareness, definitely something to watch out for, also be careful of a similar situation where the car in the side road then pulls out because they think it is safe.

Not the best overtake as well, just before a turning they want to take :dry:

GTTTM

Not the best overtake as well, just before a turning they want to take :dry:

presuming they knew exactly where their turning was........not that I managed to fly past my own planned turning on a bike yesterday..........
whistling.gif

apollo179

That video doesn't prove much, but i will explain how filter lights work.

There are two ways that filter lights work. Firstly you have the kind you are displaying here.
The main green light is on for everyone, this means that everyone can go when it is safe to do so. The right turn filter light turns on only when the other directions red light is showing and means that you can go safely as nothing else SHOULD be crossing your path.

The second set looks like this, all forms of traffic are controlled by a filter light and you can only move past the stopped line and turn when your filter light is showing.

Depending on the timing of the lights, as soon as yours goes red then the other side gets the green filter light and it is there turn to go. They should of course still be looking out for other road users but they won't always. At junctions like this it is in your best interest to stop as soon as the amber is shown to avoid incidences like this. I have a similar traffic light system in my area which I avoid because people regularly do stuff like this.

I explained above how filter lights work, that can only happen if the traffic light sequence is broken.

Yes so the opposite right turn traffic have there own light.
So what do we think the steady stream of oncoming right turn (across mathew) was doing ?
Either there light was green at the same time as mathews or that they were all just going through a red light.
Is it ok to go through this kind od red light as mathew says in his post above ?

stowie

Legendary Member
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=DE06MDN-Lefthook.mp4
It wasnt exactly a left hook, but I very nearly went into the back of him. I dont know why he stopped at the junction because he could have easily fitted past the car waiting.

I have this every day going down the high street. Slightly downhill so can keep pace with the cars, but some decide to overtake and then often turn left down the road into narrow side roads where illegally parked cars often completely gum up the entrance.

Solution is to take the centre of the road when you see it happening and be very wary of any cars turning out of the entrance. I always move central into the road and it gives you options as they slow.

If drivers were sensible and thought past the end of their bonnet this wouldn't happen.

Top Bottom