Wattbike: Worth using?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mapster1989

Holywell Health Centre, which isn't too far from me, have a Wattbike which you can pay to use to analyse your pedal stroke and increase your power output and make you more efficient.

Has anyone used them and if so are they worth the money for the session? It's around £30 for a 1/2 hour session so it's a little pricey but if it's worth it then I'll give it a go.

sep1988

I had a go a few weeks ago on one that belongs to a local cycling club, and is used by my cycling coach. I had to do the following:

- 15 min warm up adjusting cadence and concentrating on making the best pedal stroke shapes
- 3 x 6 second 'give it all you've got' sprints with 2 min recovery between
- 20 minute TT interval
- Cool down to get heart rate back down.

In total I was there for about 1hr 30 and it cost me £40 (special offer reduced from £50). After the session we went through my data and assessed power output and pedaling. I was adamant my right foot was dominant but actually my left is !

I would definitely recommend it and thought it was well worth the money, and I will be doing another in a couple of months time to see how much difference the structured training has been making. It was also a huge confident boost, (I have very little generally), I discovered I was a lot fitter that I give myself credit for, could really find some more to dig deep for that 'push to the finish line' and I produced some fairly impressive (her words not mine) watt data for a woman.

Definitely Definitely do it !!

P.S - Sorry to ramble ^_^

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If it is a one off, then ultimatelly, it is a waste of time (unless you really have cause for concern re. say your power balance that may need diagnosing). For regular or at least periodic basis, yes it is worth it but not at £30 a pop for 30 mins, unless you are getting a proper coach to analyse the data to the nth degree. TBH, you can't even get a proper FTP test done in 30 mins.

Top Bottom