Ways to jazz up football...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
How about awarding an extra point to a team scoring at least 3 goals in a game? That would encourage high-scoring games and would certainly liven things up..

sheddy

Legendary Member
Just play with 2 balls on the pitch. I guess you might need two refs.

simoncc

Arch said:
OK, I was listening to the Today programme this morning, and the sport report came on and it occured to me that now the Olympics are over, it'll be back to football as the headline sport every time. Each to their own, but really, I have no interest whatsoever. So I've started to think of ways to make it more interesting.

1) Play every game on the Golden Goal principle. First to score, wins. Some games could be over in minutes (and then they could be replaced on telly by cartoons or decent old films, like they used to do with rained off county cricket), or go on for hours until all players were exhausted and staggering around. Slight problem with the Pools of course, as there would no longer be any draws, score, or no-score...

and/or

2) I don't know if they still do, but my memory of watching the Cup Final was that they had the band of the Royal Marines on before and in the interval to match about and play tunes. They should do this for every game, but leave the band on. They would march up and down, and play would have to go round them. Points might be awarded for kicking the ball so that it landed in a tuba. Obviously the Royal Marines would be a bit stretched, so local marching bands could be substituted. For added excitement at big games, they could be replaced by the Kings Artillery Cavalry Field Gun outfit.

So, anyone got any other ideas? Or ideas for any other sport that needs jazzing up a bit?

Sounds to me like you need to jazz up your life.

Maz said:
Go to a commercial break just as a player is about to take a penalty.

Commentator: "and it's Lampard who steps up to take the penalty..."
*cut to tv ad.*
"Does searching for car insurance drive you crazy?!..."

Yes, that would be good. It'd be just like watching F1, where we miss about fifteen laps of every race while some idiot shows us a new type of fence painting device while laughing like a drain for no apparent reason.
In fact, it would liven up football a lot for me if they did away with the ball and rode motorcycles around a track as fast as they could, with the first rider player past the post winning the race match.

simoncc

Rhythm Thief said:
Yes, that would be good. It'd be just like watching F1, where we miss about fifteen laps of every race while some idiot shows us a new type of fence painting device while laughing like a drain for no apparent reason.
In fact, it would liven up football a lot for me if they did away with the ball and rode motorcycles around a track as fast as they could, with the first rider player past the post winning the race match.

Yet another post from someone who is dissatisfied with a sport as it is presented on TV. The on/off button is something these sad TV gogglers have not quite mastered.

TVC

To paraphrase fron 'The Now Show'

'The BBC sent a team of 600 to cover the Olympics, Sky sent one bloke to check nothing clashed with the football'

Leave football to wither, it's not sport, it's entertainment, and when televised it's one giant advertising board.

Top Bottom