We Did It!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarushby

Well done, I am starting out at JOG on 9th September will a very similar route...Any tips, advice etc would be gratefully received.

Barbelier

Well done - an impressive achievement :ohmy:

Start mine on the 10th September and will take 14 days because I want to enjoy the trip and do some sight seeing.

I am going LEJOG, but reading this beginning to have second thoughts about the direction.
How did you get up to JOG?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
p90ade said:
got back last night from our jogle trip
Congrats! :shy:

went down which i now 100% belive is the best way to do it. wind was fine and untill cornwall the hills favoured us.
I think you'll find sea level to sea level is the same amount of climbing in either direction. :ohmy:

You were lucky with the wind, as the prevailing wind favours LEJOG.

jarushby

Barbelier said:
Well done - an impressive achievement :blush:

Start mine on the 10th September and will take 14 days because I want to enjoy the trip and do some sight seeing.

I am going LEJOG, but reading this beginning to have second thoughts about the direction.

Easiest (and cheapest) way to JOG is to get the sleeper from Euston to Inverness then catch the inverness to Thurso train (or wick), a quick ride to JOG to warm your legs up then off you go.

Barbelier

Easiest (and cheapest) way to JOG is to get the sleeper from Euston to Inverness then catch the inverness to Thurso train (or wick), a quick ride to JOG to warm your legs up then off you go.
Makes sense. However, I went on the sleeper to Inverness years ago and didn't sleep a wink all night. Don't fancy starting the trip exhausted on the first day! Also getting into London would be a bit of a hassle.

Therefore, current plan is train Reading to Penzance, do LEJOG, post the bike back from Wick and train back. I know it might be a bit of an anti-climax travelling back. Any better suggestions would be gratefully received!

jarushby

Barbelier said:
Well done - an impressive achievement :ohmy:

Barbelier said:
Makes sense. However, I went on the sleeper to Inverness years ago and didn't sleep a wink all night. Don't fancy starting the trip exhausted on the first day! Also getting into London would be a bit of a hassle.

Therefore, current plan is train Reading to Penzance, do LEJOG, post the bike back from Wick and train back. I know it might be a bit of an anti-climax travelling back. Any better suggestions would be gratefully received!

I would have thought Reading to Paddington would be very easy [shouldnt be too difficult to bike reservation] ( a bit of a pain getting from Paddington to Eustoin but whats 2.5 miles through London when you are going to do ~900 miles E to E. If you take the sleeper + train to Thurso you will only get to Thurso at 2.30pm so if you are worried about being tired you could get a cheap B&B in Thurso or cycle to Wick (about 30 miles) and get a B&B/campsite there. I think I would rather have hassle getting back from Penzance than JOG. Anyway, your call and I wish you luck either way. When are you setting off?

farina

theloafer said:
congrats p90ade i have done it twice 1995-my 40th also 2005my 50th both south to north..planing on doing it for my 60th (all been well) north to south but not as fast as your trip...:ohmy:
Hi this is my first message so if I make a mess of it don't blame me. I did LEJOG in 2001 for my 50th birthday and was wondering about going from JOG for my 60th when are u planning on going?
mike

Barbelier

jarushby said:
I would have thought Reading to Paddington would be very easy [shouldnt be too difficult to bike reservation] ( a bit of a pain getting from Paddington to Eustoin but whats 2.5 miles through London when you are going to do ~900 miles E to E. If you take the sleeper + train to Thurso you will only get to Thurso at 2.30pm so if you are worried about being tired you could get a cheap B&B in Thurso or cycle to Wick (about 30 miles) and get a B&B/campsite there. I think I would rather have hassle getting back from Penzance than JOG. Anyway, your call and I wish you luck either way. When are you setting off?
Hmm...good suggestion. Will give it some further thought. I hate the thought of cycling anywhere in London and deliberately stay away from any busy roads because I like to enjoy my cycling. However, thinking about it, I may be able to "persuade" a friend to take me into London.

Originally posted by farina
I did LEJOG in 2001 for my 50th birthday and was wondering about going from JOG for my 60th when are u planning on going?
mike
I'm planning to set off around 10th September, stay in B&Bs and spend about 14 days doing the trip at a fairly leisurely pace because I want to enjoy it. Also I'll be trying to stay on the quieter roads, avoid the dual carriageways and do a bit of sight-seeing along the way. I'm 52 and getting back into cycling after a 20+ yr layoff. However, I have been doing a reasonable amount of training with day trips up to 75 miles. The mate I was going with has dropped out because his girlfriend is pregnant (very inconsiderate of her!) and he needs to save his holidays for after the birth (he'll wish he'd gone cycling that's for sure!).

So if I decide to go JOGLE, and these dates suit, you or jarushby (or anyone else for that matter) are welcome to join me for some or all of it. My current provisional planned route (going north to south) is:
- Thurso (not Wick) to Inverness
- Along Loch Ness to Fort William
- Down to Oban then Lochgilhead and ferries across to Saltcoast (to avoid Glasgow)
- Dumfries, Carlisle and between Preston/Manchester
- Chester, Hereford and onto Bristol
- Down to Exetor, north of Dartmoor and onto St Austell/Lands End
Maybe not one of the traditional routes and a bit longer than most, but I want to make the most of it. It's also flexible and I'm open to any better suggestions!

jarushby

Barbelier said:
Hmm...good suggestion. Will give it some
I'm planning to set off around 10th September, stay in B&Bs and spend about 14 days doing the trip at a fairly leisurely pace because I want to enjoy it. Also I'll be trying to stay on the quieter roads, avoid the dual carriageways and do a bit of sight-seeing along the way.
So if I decide to go JOGLE, and these dates suit, you or jarushby (or anyone else for that matter) are welcome to join me for some or all of it. My current provisional planned route (going north to south) is:
- Thurso (not Wick) to Inverness
- Along Loch Ness to Fort William
- Down to Oban then Lochgilhead and ferries across to Saltcoast (to avoid Glasgow)
- Dumfries, Carlisle and between Preston/Manchester
- Chester, Hereford and onto Bristol
- Down to Exetor, north of Dartmoor and onto St Austell/Lands End
Maybe not one of the traditional routes and a bit longer than most, but I want to make the most of it. It's also flexible and I'm open to any better suggestions!

I am setting off from home on 8th September, getting to Paddington by train from Cardiff, across to Euston to catch the 9:30 sleeper to inverness. Hopefully get to Thurso 2.30pm on 9th (Friday).

Day 1 (half a day really), try to get past Wick (after passing through JOG) and as close to Helmsdale before light fades. then camp or B&B

Day2 Try to get as close to Fort Augustus [camp or B&B]

Day 3 somewhere close to Loch Lommond [camp or B&B]

Day 4 To arrive in Glasgow for first booked stop (travelodge £19!!!)

then old A74 to Carlisle, A6 to Preston, A49 all the way to Severn Bridge (resist the tempation to go home!!!!)

Through Bristol, Weston-supermare, Taunton then onto A30 to LE

I am 43, done North Wales to South Wales a few weeks back, loved it so thought I would go for the big-one. Daunting but looking forward to it.

Barbelier

I've done it! Booked the train so I'm committed now.:rolleyes:

Complete change of plan and doing JOGLE instead of LEJOG.

Jarushby
I thought about it and took your advice.
I'm one day behind you catching the sleeper from Euston on the 9th September and arriving Thurso 2pm on the 10th. Just need to persuade one of my friends to take me to Euston! If I don't manage to sleep on the train I'll just catch up sleep the first night. Will be much easier getting home from Penzance at the end.

Despite all the planning & training I've been doing so far, only now that I’ve booked to go does it hit home that I'm really doing it! ^_^ Nothing to the experienced tourers on here I know, but I’m a touring virgin so it’s a step into the unknown. Apprehensive, but overall I’m excited and really looking forward to the whole experience.

Loads to do now.
- Finalise the route
- Sort out the B&Bs (from what I’ve read this could be the biggest challenge)
- Buy the rest of the equipment
- Keep fine tuning the bike setup
- Want to start a blog
- Need to sort out the sponsorship

jarushby

I've done it! Booked the train so I'm committed now.:biggrin:

Complete change of plan and doing JOGLE instead of LEJOG.

Jarushby
I thought about it and took your advice.
I'm one day behind you catching the sleeper from Euston on the 9th September and arriving Thurso 2pm on the 10th. Just need to persuade one of my friends to take me to Euston! If I don't manage to sleep on the train I'll just catch up sleep the first night. Will be much easier getting home from Penzance at the end.

Despite all the planning & training I've been doing so far, only now that I’ve booked to go does it hit home that I'm really doing it! :biggrin: Nothing to the experienced tourers on here I know, but I’m a touring virgin so it’s a step into the unknown. Apprehensive, but overall I’m excited and really looking forward to the whole experience.

Loads to do now.
- Finalise the route
- Sort out the B&Bs (from what I’ve read this could be the biggest challenge)
- Buy the rest of the equipment
- Keep fine tuning the bike setup
- Want to start a blog
- Need to sort out the sponsorship

Yep, know exactly how you feel. It certainly hits home when you book the train tickets etc.

Regardng places to stay. Try travelodges en-route. You should still be able to get ~£19 per night deals. The good thing about travelodges is that you can arrive anytime, keep your bikes in the room and get going early without any hassle. Downside, they are pretty basic and no breakfast included.

If you wish, you can PM your mobile nummer and I will return mine. You never know, we may be able to aid each other during the trip,

Barbelier

Yep, know exactly how you feel. It certainly hits home when you book the train tickets etc.

Regardng places to stay. Try travelodges en-route. You should still be able to get ~£19 per night deals. The good thing about travelodges is that you can arrive anytime, keep your bikes in the room and get going early without any hassle. Downside, they are pretty basic and no breakfast included.

If you wish, you can PM your mobile nummer and I will return mine. You never know, we may be able to aid each other during the trip,

Thanks for that. Good suggestion about the Travelodges (although I must admit I do enjoy a good cooked breakfast::rolleyes: !)
Have sent you a PM.

Top Bottom