We Did It!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ever so slightly provocative one might say ...........

I am sure completing LeJog brings a lot of satisfaction and a great sense of achievement to those who manage to do so. It's not a route/tour I have done as it doesn't really appeal to me but I wouldn't take anything away from those who have completed it. It is quite an achievement in my view.

If we apply your logic to any Pro Tour such as the Giro or the TdF then these are just a series of one day rides. Just that you have to do them pretty much everyday for 3 weeks ...................... :rolleyes: .

More though Provocating!

When I have given talks about my Adventures, afterwards people have said to me, they could not ride a 1000 miles let alone 5000 miles, and these are guys and gals who will happily cycle a 70-100 miles a day.
Iit’s all in the mind, I think in my cycling career the longest I have rode in one day was 145 miles, and frankly it killed me, I for one; never want to ride more than 70 miles in a day and plan my trips for 50 miles a day.
And I also plan each day as a day ride, though part of the big picture. It the psychological fear of the overall distance which makes the challenge more the greater.

Some years ago, I was cycling down the East coast of Malaysia, heading for Singapore, when at tea stop, I meet a Australian lass who was aiming to cycle from Sydney to London overland as much as possible, however having by then island hopped through Indonesia, and had at last reached the sanity of the mainland Asia, she was starting to realise the challenge she had set herself.

During our chat I told her that she should treat each day as it comes, set the days goal, then in the evening depending what you have achieved that day, sometime there is a shortfall of mileage, other days you achieve greater mileage, plan the next day’s ride or take a rest day depending on how you feel.

And the principle applies whether you are doing a tour lasting a few days or a few months.

The outcome of the story of the Lass was that I had given her my card, and had said that when she got to England, if she need any help then give me a ring. 11 months later she rung me from Newhaven Harbour to tell me she was in the UK, and as it was late, could she accept my offer of hospitality, she stayed a week, but as I had collected her from the ferry port, she made me take her back there a couple of days later, so she could cycle back to my house, then when she left she was cycling to London, before going to London Heathrow, she has some stories to tel her family, that for sure, a very plucky lass.

I think to be honest the biggest problem with the LEJOG or any other ride of that nature, is the time factor. As most working guys and gals have to slot it into the Vacation periods.

But I still say to all the Guys and Gals thinking of doing any long distance tour .. treat each day as a day ride and take it from there.

Sorry, Sorry I have rambled on a bit.

jarushby

More though Provocating!

When I have given talks about my Adventures, afterwards people have said to me, they could not ride a 1000 miles let alone 5000 miles, and these are guys and gals who will happily cycle a 70-100 miles a day.
Iit’s all in the mind, I think in my cycling career the longest I have rode in one day was 145 miles, and frankly it killed me, I for one; never want to ride more than 70 miles in a day and plan my trips for 50 miles a day.
And I also plan each day as a day ride, though part of the big picture. It the psychological fear of the overall distance which makes the challenge more the greater.

I think to be honest the biggest problem with the LEJOG or any other ride of that nature, is the time factor. As most working guys and gals have to slot it into the Vacation periods.

But I still say to all the Guys and Gals thinking of doing any long distance tour .. treat each day as a day ride and take it from there.

I think you are absolutely right. The thought of riding 1,000 miles is extremely daunting, Doing ~70miles per day for 14 days some-how makes it more achievable.

"How do you eat a whale?"......"one mouthful at a time"

Crankarm

Guru
More though Provocating!

Some years ago, I was cycling down the East coast of Malaysia, heading for Singapore, when at tea stop, I meet a Australian lass who was aiming to cycle from Sydney to London overland as much as possible, however having by then island hopped through Indonesia, and had at last reached the sanity of the mainland Asia, she was starting to realise the challenge she had set herself.

During our chat I told her that she should treat each day as it comes, set the days goal, then in the evening depending what you have achieved that day, sometime there is a shortfall of mileage, other days you achieve greater mileage, plan the next day’s ride or take a rest day depending on how you feel.

And the principle applies whether you are doing a tour lasting a few days or a few months.

The outcome of the story of the Lass was that I had given her my card, and had said that when she got to England, if she need any help then give me a ring. 11 months later she rung me from Newhaven Harbour to tell me she was in the UK, and as it was late, could she accept my offer of hospitality, she stayed a week, but as I had collected her from the ferry port, she made me take her back there a couple of days later, so she could cycle back to my house, then when she left she was cycling to London, before going to London Heathrow, she has some stories to tel her family, that for sure, a very plucky lass.

Such a nice story I thought there was going to be a happy ending ........................ ;) .

Well I suppose if you put it like that. But these types of journeys are not one day rides as one is hopefully riding every day. If they were simply one day rides then one could say stuff this for a laugh I quit. Pretty much all who ride LeJog set themselves a target for reaching the other end. Yes of course time constraints also play a major factor but so does fitness. Most don't have the luxury of riding only 50 miles a day. Frankly this is too short a day's ride anyway IMHO. Each day they have to nurse fatigued and reluctant muscles back into action to make the day's target mileage.

As I say I have tremendous admiration for those who complete LeJog even though it is a ride that doesn't really appeal to me. Not because of the physical challenge, but the thought of cycling the length of Britain just does not inspire me.

Such a nice story I thought there was going to be a happy ending ........................ ;) .

Well I suppose if you put it like that. But these types of journeys are not one day rides as one is hopefully riding every day. If they were simply one day rides then one could say stuff this for a laugh I quit. Pretty much all who ride LeJog set themselves a target for reaching the other end. Yes of course time constraints also play a major factor but so does fitness. Most don't have the luxury of riding only 50 miles a day. Frankly this is too short a day's ride anyway IMHO. Each day they have to nurse fatigued and reluctant muscles back into action to make the day's target mileage.

As I say I have tremendous admiration for those who complete LeJog even though it is a ride that doesn't really appeal to me. Not because of the physical challenge, but the thought of cycling the length of Britain just does not inspire me.

I was old enough to be her grandpa..lol

Barbelier

I dont want to sound a wet blanket, but surly all the fuss about riding from North scotland or Lands End, is a tad over the top. After all it is only a seriies or one day rides, so the same rules that you apply to your one day rides, apply on the trip from Northern Scotland or Cornwal,it is just you carry your home with you. and crap in a different place each day.

I find this a tad condescending.

For me and the other guys who have been posting here and are doing it for the first time it is a big deal.
I admire and respect the fact that you have been able to cycle all over Asia and covered 1,000s of miles.:thumbsup:

But I cannot agree that LEJOG/JOGLE is just a series of one days rides for lots of reasons:
- Nobody rides 14 one day rides one after the other
- The hard part will be getting back on the bike day after day no matter what the weather or how I feel. For a one day ride I have the choice of not going out that day. On this trip I have to keep going.
- I have to carry loaded panniers and everything I need for 2 weeks, which I don't do normally on a day ride
- The bike has to keep going in my case for 1,100 miles and I have to sort out any mechanical problems along the way. If I have a problem on a day ride I just have to get home and then have the luxury of time, tools and a LBS to sort it out.
- I personally have put an enormous amount of time into planning the route, booking B&Bs, setting up the bike and sorting out the stuff I need to take, which wouldn't apply to a day ride. Now maybe that's just me and others would take a much more relaxed approach, but either way there is still a fair amount of planning and organisation involved.

I haven't cycled for 20+ years, have never toured on a bike in my life and I very proud of what I achieved in the last 6 months or so since I decided to have a go at JOGLE. I completed my first 100 mile trip yesterday and am really chuffed about it.

But it's all relative. I guy at work spent 2 months training for a 50 mile charity event. He's staggered (or thinks I'm mad) when I tell him about my planned trip. Nonetheless I still admire and respect his achievement.

And if I complete the JOGLE trip it will be a really big deal for me.
Then who knows I might be able to cycle round Asia (when I retire) and give talks about it.;)

Each to their own in their own way, depending on their resources and time. Due to comitments and other factors very few can or will want to go off for six or twelve months at a time. On a personal bases, the End to End or Corner to Corner is the the cycle ride (and walk) that appeals to me because I know that it (the cycle ride) is within my ability and I have the resources to do it. This will allso be the max for most people in this country, who just canot drop every thing. In my case it will take planning (all ready started for next April)so the home team knows where I am and what I am up too. It will also take a lot of training, which means some things will get neglected at home and so on, but when I do it it will be ME and my route and that will be my little achivement. No publicity, no charity just me and the road and maybe a small piece on this page. Incidently my route will be roughly: Haltwhistle to L.E to Dover to Haltwhistle. Then a summer or winter break and then Haltwhistle to Cape Wrath to J.O.G to Haltwhistle. This saves on the disgusting price and problems of rail travel but still allows flexability.

robbiep

Über Member
I dont want to sound a wet blanket, but surly all the fuss about riding from North scotland or Lands End, is a tad over the top. After all it is only a seriies or one day rides, so the same rules that you apply to your one day rides, apply on the trip from Northern Scotland or Cornwal,it is just you carry your home with you. and crap in a different place each day.

I guess one mans mountain is another mans mole hill!!! I can only speak for myself and with 8 days before lift off I'm petrified!!:eek: The amount of time spent training will hopefully stand me in good stead but it certainly does not alleviate the fear of the unknown.

I would certainly not look to dismiss anybody's personal goals whatever they may be.

The clock is ticking John & Jason!!:eek:

I guess one mans mountain is another mans mole hill!!! I can only speak for myself and with 8 days before lift off I'm petrified!!:eek: The amount of time spent training will hopefully stand me in good stead but it certainly does not alleviate the fear of the unknown.

I would certainly not look to dismiss anybody's personal goals whatever they may be.

Dont be petrified, you will enjoy it, just try to give yourself time each day to stop and if the weather is fine, sit with your back against tree and look at the countryside that you are are cycling through, all too often peeps have set a high daily distance, so its head down and and arse up and they see very little of what is going on around them.

7th Sept I am off to Durness, to cycle the Durness-Dover Route, wanted to go earlier but was unable to get a bike space on the Euston-Inverness sleeper make a change from the JOGLE although the routes will cross I guess.

snorri

Legendary Member
The challenges and organisation to accomplish a JOGLE within the timescale that an employer permits, are quite different to those encountered on a multiweek, or multimonth, tour, but completion of each can be equally rewarding.:smile:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover

Just enjoy the ride,i did Manchester to Cornwall solo in May and enjoyed it that much even with the pain of the Devon & Cornish hills that i'm doing it again next year !
Would love to do LeJog but time is a big factor....maybe one day !

Barbelier

Dont be petrified, you will enjoy it, just try to give yourself time each day to stop and if the weather is fine, sit with your back against tree and look at the countryside that you are are cycling through, all too often peeps have set a high daily distance, so its head down and and arse up and they see very little of what is going on around them.
Exactly my philosophy!
I admire the guys who can do it in 100+ miles a day, but this is a different approach geared mainly around completing the challenge.
For me it's a holiday and new experience and if I'm going to travel the length of the whole country I want to have the time & energy to be able to stop and enjoy it along the way.

Top Bottom