Weight loss and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
IME cycling assists weight loss mainly by placing a greater distance between me and the food cupboard, so limiting the opportunities for snacking.
This theory doesn't work for me. Too many good coffee stops in this part of the world. :mrpig: I've cycled 5000 miles in the last 12 months and I'm the same weight as I was this time last year! :laugh: :blush:

OP
OP
P

PurplePoodle

You'll build up quickly. Next month you won't believe how much of a struggle it was this month.

I hope this is true! What about the bruised feeling backside will that ever go away? I'm in agony lol!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Only managed about 25 mins for cycling tonight and I was knackered.. Looks like it's going to be slow progress!! I have weak leg muscles as about 2 years ago I was still using a wheel chair so cycling will build them up hopefully

Respect for getting from 4 wheels to 2! As for the sore butt, you may eventually find you need a different saddle, but if you're only recently back in the saddle it might simply be a question of getting used to it.

OP
OP
P

PurplePoodle

Would a padded cover help over the saddle too? I recon it's just because I've not cycled for years as I used to be out on a bike alot and never got sore.

Hebe

getting better all the time
It does get better honestly, and well done for getting started.

Re the padded shorts, don't wear anything else underneath them, and also be careful what you put over the top. Thick seams like those on jeans can still rub even through the padding.

My first bike - a "comfort bike" came with a womens specific comfort saddle, and I honestly should have complained, it was agony. It did take a few rides to work out that it was the saddle that was the problem and not my lack of experience. Nurofen or arnica tablets after a ride were very helpful.

Peteaud

Veteran
It does get better, but dont go for a padded seat cover, it will make it worse.

OP
OP
P

PurplePoodle

Went a ride along the canal today with the shorts and nothing underneath them and what a difference! Cycled alot further with it aswell. Who would have thought knickers could cause pain!

acrybb

can i suggest myfitnesspal.com. or download the app for your smart phone. i have been using it since July and have lost 4st 9lbs. works a treat

zomboid

I lost weight last october pretty quickly (over a stone in 4-5weeks) by going to slimming world but i was neglecting my bike. Then November (my birthday month) happened, and xmas...it's only really been march that i've been motivated enough to get out & cycle. However I've found that cycling makes my appetite go (even more) mental so I'm back at SW tomorrow night to get back to improving my eating habits as well as cycling. So far i'm trying to cycle 5days a week, roughly 8 miles a day and over the course of two weeks the initial arse pain has gone and I find I'm able to go up the steep parts of my commute in a higher (harder?) gear so i'd say my leg muscles are getting stronger.

I've given up booze for the past 3weeks for a bit of a health & finance kick so I find it a lot easier to get up before 7am and cycle into work...although some mornings it is a challenge!

Good luck with your cycling and weightloss goals Purple! :smile:

Top Bottom