Weight Watcher's Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Sorry, but I still don't get it. So, for example, if someone gives up smoking, and vows never to smoke again for the rest of their life, they are joining in some sort of 'cult'?

I said 'dieting is forever' because every single person I know who has gone on a diet, lost weight, and then given up the diet, has simply put the weight straight back on again, within a few months. And according to my doctor this is harmful to one's health: almost as harmful, in fact, as not losing weight at all. This is merely a warning. If anyone has a problem with that, please say so.

Bigtallfatbloke

I weigh 17 stone at the moment having put on half a stone over christmas:ohmy::ohmy: and that was without any beer!

...My aim is simple, to continue riding and losing weight like I did last year (lost 4 stone). I'm not going to set any targets etc...as I am officially allergic to any kind of target. I will keep it simple....eat less ride more, nuff sedded.

graham56

Guru
Pete said:
NO! Please please use kilograms: we don't have to slavishly copy the Americans in everything. I calculate my BMI (for what that's worth) and that can only be done in Kg.

Think you`ll find the Americans derived their units of measurement from the British.

ChrisKH

Guru
Pete said:
Sorry, but I still don't get it. So, for example, if someone gives up smoking, and vows never to smoke again for the rest of their life, they are joining in some sort of 'cult'?

I said 'dieting is forever' because every single person I know who has gone on a diet, lost weight, and then given up the diet, has simply put the weight straight back on again, within a few months. And according to my doctor this is harmful to one's health: almost as harmful, in fact, as not losing weight at all. This is merely a warning. If anyone has a problem with that, please say so.

Pete is correct IMO. A diet is not a quick fix, and a person needs to make permanent changes to the way they view food and their individual diet to establish a healthy and permanent change in the way they eat. That's not to say that you can't have treats occasionally.

Dieting as in, the Cambridge diet, the 48 hour lose a stone diet, etc. are not necessarily the healthiest way to lose weight and can lead to complications. Talk to my sister-in-law who has just had her gall bladder removed because of gallstones, mainly as a result of a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and losing too much weight too fast in the last couple of years.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I weigh 17 stone at the moment having put on half a stone over christmas:ohmy::ohmy: and that was without any beer!

...My aim is simple, to continue riding and losing weight like I did last year (lost 4 stone). I'm not going to set any targets etc...as I am officially allergic to any kind of target. I will keep it simple....eat less ride more, nuff sedded.

108kg big boy - now the height please...:rolleyes:

jashburnham

180 cm 75kg
5.9 11 3/4 stone

Aiming for 65kg or so by the Etape but in reality we'll see where a combo of training and not eating cr@p gets me!

Pete

graham56 said:
Think you`ll find the Americans derived their units of measurement from the British.
Yep. Like, their gallons which are nowhere near the same as ours? Like, we got our avoirdupois system (pounds, ounces, etc.) originally from the French. Doesn't mean that present-day France still uses it. :rolleyes:

I have long since given up on stones etc., I think in Kg, now, it's more natural to me. Paradoxically I still cycle in miles. One day I'll make the change to Km...

If whoever sets up the chart wants to arrange input in either stones/lb or Kg, so that people can choose either, fine by me. But I really don't want to have to be forever converting my Kg figures to cwt/quarters/pounds/drams/scruples/ perches/firkins/...whatever. ;)

hambones

189cm or 6'2"

01.01.08 100kg 15st10 (10lbs gained over December due to beer and cheesecake)

08.01.08 97.75kg 15st5 (due to eating far less and some exercise!)

Target - 90kg 14st2 (which I achieved last March - my lightest weight for 20 years)

mondobongo

Über Member
1.84m and 88.7kg or 6.0' and 13 stone 13lb. Looking to get down to 13ish stone no beer and some better eating patterns without the junk should do it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1.72 and 77kg's (5' 9" and 12st and a bit) - was 90kg's (14st and a bit) last June.

Currently 78kg's from Xmas excess, and maybe down to a minimum of 75kg's by May for the summer - no lighter - so not much to go now.....

fossyant said:
1.72 and 77kg's (5' 9" and 12st and a bit) - was 90kg's (14st and a bit) last June.

Currently 78kg's from Xmas excess, and maybe down to a minimum of 75kg's by May for the summer - no lighter - so not much to go now.....

This is not weight loss - it's having a haircut! Us well rounded ones are the www. (weight watchers weirdos) around here. Jash is severely overweight but throws in a "...by the etape..." comment, so he's banned also.. mutter mutter :biggrin:

:biggrin:

MichaelM

Guru
At the begining of Sept (07) I was 86kg (5'8"). By the end of the semester I was 90.5kg - must be all all that extra useless information I'm carrying around in my head.

First goal is to get back down to 86 kg.
Entered 10 Under The Ben (solo category) to give myself something to train for.

01:01:08 90.7 kg
08:01:08 89.9 kg
15:01:08 90.5 kg !!! going the wrong way :-(
22:01:08 89.5 kg
01:02:08 88.8 kg

Tetedelacourse

Michael obviously just forget everything you've learnt. Hey presto, weight reduced.

Jash 108cm?! HA HA HA HA HA HA come here and let me ruffle your hair wee man!

Top Bottom