Weird Habits while cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a luminous road signal on one of my routes. The clever thing tells motorists their speed and either thanks them for going below 30mph, or tells them to slow down if they're over. It's the only one i know of that picks up a cyclist's speed, and it's a novelty to have it point out that i'm doing 14mph as i approach. However, my "weird habit" is to tell the machine that it's not that clever!, as i'm not just doing 14mph but i'm doing 14.7mph!:bravo:

Edwards80

Über Member
Every time I ride into a tunnel I shout "Allez Allez Allez" to annoy all the people watching me on TV. ;)

Only real habit is singing crap songs in my head. . . usually just one line over and over.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have the habit of suffering terribly on the bike, but carefully avoiding getting fit enough to make it easier on myself.

I have a habit of making strange wheezing noises as I ride up steep Yorkshire and Lancashire hills, trying to catch up with CycleChat members who just happen to be up the road and riding away from me.

At the summits, I have the habit of riding straight past other CycleChatters and plunging down the descent to try and get a head start on them before the next climb, only to remember that I have to stop at our turn off at to make sure everyone goes the right way.

My oddest cycling habit is being prepared to do it all over again a few weeks later! :whistle:

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
i talk to myself, a lot!
i sing at the top of my voice regularly, some catchy tune or one i'm learning for an open mic night.
i play spit-golf too.
i also baa, moo, oink and bark at the passing animals, sometimes they talk back.
i keep an eye out for edibles along the roadside, plants, fruits, mushrooms if in the wilds of cheshire freshly hit pheasant in season would be a nice find on a cold morning. would certainly sort lunch. if it wasn't smushed that is.

D

Deleted member 20519

after only 5 minutes, I have to stop and check both tyres, not sure why as I don't check again...
I'm forever checking my chain ring, it's like I can never remember what gear I'm in....
when passing other cyclist, I change body shape to look (in my mind) more professional and if possible not to look too tired, I know sounds crazy :blush:
I say hello to everybody cyclist, joggers, people walking, not just a hello but a hand raise no matter how fast or how much I'm struggling up a hill...

I do the exact same thing, it doesn't matter who you are, I will say hi to you. I find it kind of annoying when people blatantly ignore you but that's pretty rare.

D

Deleted member 20519

I do the exact same thing, it doesn't matter who you are, I will say hi to you. I find it kind of annoying when people blatantly ignore you but that's pretty rare.

Had a bit of a disaster yesterday with a woman who'd been drinking.

Me, cycling past: Hiya
Her: What?
Me: I said hi.
Her: Daryl?
Me: No.
Her: Are you Karen's Daryl?
Me: No, I said hi.
Her, starts walking away: Oh... hi. :crazy:

Lyrical

fen x
As I tend to always unclip my left foot, at any set of lights I always always look at the pedal, I'm not sure why. It never changes, it's always the same position, the same side.

seashaker

You lot are mad!!! haha, well I do most of the talking things.

This however I found VERY Bizzare and tops most of you!!

On Twitter I have been following most of the round the world cyclists. A couple of days ago, Mike Hall had this to say about Simon Hutchinson:

"Simon also told me that he reads while riding down the freeways! He's read 5 books whilst riding around the world"

Now I know it's a long way but I barely have the coordination to ride a bike, let alone read whilst on it!!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I always say good morning to other cyclists on the road, regardless of what time of day it is.

When going up the slightest incline I have a tendency to miss turnings and get lost. I simply can't follow directions uphill.

I'm almost always counting in time to my pedal strokes. I'll sometimes find myself going ''52-2-3, 53-2-3, 54-2-3...'' but as I have no idea when I started counting or at what cadence I'm cycling at this tells me strictly nothing. I don't even know whether I started from 1. At jauntier speeds (flat or slightly downhill) I'll count in compound duple time (one-and-a-two-and-a-two-and-a-two-three-and-a-two).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm almost always counting in time to my pedal strokes. I'll sometimes find myself going ''52-2-3, 53-2-3, 54-2-3...'' but as I have no idea when I started counting or at what cadence I'm cycling at this tells me strictly nothing. I don't even know whether I started from 1. At jauntier speeds (flat or slightly downhill) I'll count in compound duple time (one-and-a-two-and-a-two-and-a-two-three-and-a-two).
If you can say more than just '1-2-3-4-5-6...' then I reckon your cadence is a bit slow!

akb

Veteran
Constantly checking my rear tyre isnt flat.
Try and ride in a perfectly straight line over channel drainage on a raised bridge section of the cycle track because I sound like a train...!
Whenever someone is approaching (be it another cyclist, ped, etc), I for some stupid reason give it the right beans and then have to slow right down after they have passed to catch my breath and have a sup of water.

Top Bottom