Weird Pub names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The Only Running Footman

'I Am The Only Running Footman' to give it its full name. I once started a discussion on pub names on Robert Elms's old BBC London radio show by enquiring about it.

Down in SE London near Charlton FC is the Antigallican, which I believe is named after a ship.

On Margate seafront is a Wetherspoon's called The Mechanical Elephant, after an old tourist attraction from the 30s, iirc.

Also in Margate is the Ales Of The Unexpected - one of those newfangled micropubs.

And in Broadstairs is a superb micropub called The Four Candles, after the Two Ronnies sketch - supposedly the premises used to be the hardware shop that inspired Ronnie Barker to write the sketch.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The Windwhistle Inn is so-called because it's on Windwhistle, a hill above Chard. The story goes that Thomas Hardy, on a walking holiday, called in and asked for tea. The reply was that they could serve him beer, but not tea. The reason was that they were out of water and the well was a mile distant, down the hill.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
In Greenford, near where Taylor-Woodrow's HQ used to be (now housing) stands the Civil Engineer.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The Gate Hangs Well in Syston

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
There seemed to be a craze for renaming pubs with stupid names a few years ago, fortunately most have now been returned to their traditional title. I really can't remember any of them now

Deliberately stupid pub names - or even ones with some logic to them newly made up by pubcos and chains to sound old - really wind me up. I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Just seem to detract from interesting genuine names.

To the north of Otley, there's one called 'the Spite', with quite a decent tale to it

Was just thinking of that one myself! The Spite, a.k.a. the Roebuck at Newall - just down the road from what was The Malice...

There's also The Squinting Cat at Pannal which has a sort of similar tale to it.

In Eastwood, near Nottingham, there is - or was - The Man in Space, named as it was built the year Gagarin went into space.

I always thought The Five Alls (various places including Lechlade) was an interesting name.

And down the road Hark To Mopsey (is it still open) formerly Hark To Mobsey.
It is indeed (closed & re-opened)
The Pineapple has shut down, & has been converted to a house now, with wonderful views!!

Was just thinking of that one myself! The Spite, a.k.a. the Roebuck at Newall - just down the road from what was The Malice...

"There's nobbut Spite & Malice, up there"!"

Top Bottom