Well I'm an idiot... >.<

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well...I stupidly decided to go out on my bike this morning - I took the Diverge, not the Allez, thinking as its heavier it would be better on the potential icy roads, however, the slick tyres just did not want to know.

I only got a mile down the road when I lost the front end and landed heavily on my right knee and right elbow. I then dusted myself off, thinking it was just a black ice patch - but no....another 500 yards down the road it threw me off again.

I decided to pack it in and call my dad to come get me and the bike. I felt like such an idiot, it wasn't the bike - just my stupid lack of judgment :sad::cursing:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Bad luck! Hope the damage to you isn't too bad. It is warmer here today although the odd patch of cold stuff is still to be found.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah I headed out around 8:30 and I live in the sticks, and all the roads seemed to be in the shade - heat wise was not too bad, but we have very frosty nights! I thought Kent was suppose to be warmest! haha

davidphilips

Veteran
I am just going to focus on my running in the gym and only go out on the bike mid afternoon when it should all be thawed out! Lesson learnt..... :sad:

If you do go out this afternoon just keep well out from the edge of the road as thats the most likely place for ice to stay, Dont want to hear about things happening in threes, good luck.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't worry, you had more conviction than 99.99% of the population and you learned a valuable lesson.

My cycling buddy and I went out on Friday morning and he came a cropper on water ice despite our experience. We turned round and headed to a cafe for a hot drink.

Taking a few days off cycling will do you good. You'll feel stronger when you return to the road.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I am just going to focus on my running in the gym and only go out on the bike mid afternoon when it should all be thawed out! Lesson learnt..... :sad:
This time of year, when the sun is low and the days are short, there'll be patches that just won't thaw for days.
Winter doesn't stop me cycling but it's purely utility cycling... long pleasure rides will begin again in spring.

Bonus

Veteran
Aaah miss the days when I could "call my dad" .

hoopdriver

Guru
Glad you weren't injured. My shoulder is still not right after the tendons got messed up from my last 'off' on black ice nearly five years ago. I used to love riding on frosty mornings but now I go to the gym for a hard hour on the cross-trainer...

Spring's coming...

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Glad your not seriously hurt, I think most people will have had an off thinking that the ice had cleared I know I have! Like others are saying shaded areas are the worst.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Glad you weren't too badly hurt.Theres another potential danger mid afternoon on days like this. Low sun,if you are struggling to see into the sun get off the road if you can. car drivers with dirty windscreens wont see you and lots are too stupid to slow down.

Top Bottom