Well I'm an idiot... >.<

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I wonder what would happen if one was using clip-less pedals and that happened ? That could be nasty.

Whilst I have SPD pedals on my main commuter, they are one sided. In any case, if I think that I'm approaching a particularly slippy patch or coming to a bend in the wet, I'll unclip one foot to anticipate any slide. In one high speed instance, I managed to skate upright with my right down on the road and the bike travelling sideways! I'll never know how I managed to keep upright on that occasion.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm an idiot too. I went out today, having chosen to believe the forecast (because it said what I wanted it to say) but it was far colder. I had a plan, and foolishly/obstinately stuck to it. I was frequently terrified, but somehow managed to stay upright.

I did have a mishap though. My bike fell over spectacularly after I'd set it up for a photo opportunity, causing some cosmetic damage to my Garmin and Brooks. On balance, I'll settle for that. Then, about an hour after returning home, the rear tyre burst spontaneously in my hallway. At first I thought it might be the boiler, and the mere loss of a partly used tyre doesn't seem so bad!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Schwalbe 700 c studded tires work well for smooth ice although they are at least 32mm.
Now also available in 30mm.

Spare wheels may be an alternative to a whole spare bike.

Don't just trust the ice will be gone mid-afternoon. It doesn't always. Get a thermometer and maybe try to spot what places near your house the ice stays longest.

Lonestar

Veteran
Highway to hell!

The highway to me losing two stone.

MikeG

Guru
A few people sneered when I said a few days ago that ice and bikes don't mix. I hope those same people are as sympathetic as I am, Alice. It's horrible coming off once. Twice in a ride........that's a nightmare. Hope you feel OK soon enough.

Lonestar

Veteran
A few people sneered when I said a few days ago that ice and bikes don't mix. I hope those same people are as sympathetic as I am, Alice. It's horrible coming off once. Twice in a ride........that's a nightmare. Hope you feel OK soon enough.

I agree I don't like ice and don't trust it.

GWS Alice.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl

Oh you are all so adorable! Thank you so much, yes it has definitely knocked my confidence a little. I cannot wait to get home and unwind with some yoga and strong incense!

Alan O

Über Member
I'm always impressed by you folk who go out voluntarily to ride your bikes on these cold mornings.

I just don't have the toughness I had when I was young, and these days I struggle even to get out of bed to go to work - and I work at home! In fact, sometimes it's so bad I do my first hour or so's work on my laptop while still in bed.

It's definitely fair-weather cycling for me these days - I've had my fill of cold winter spills and icy soakings, and I don't want any more of them.

Top Bottom