Well I'm an idiot... >.<

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I'm always impressed by you folk who go out voluntarily to ride your bikes on these cold mornings.

I just don't have the toughness I had when I was young, and these days I struggle even to get out of bed to go to work - and I work at home! In fact, sometimes it's so bad I do my first hour or so's work on my laptop while still in bed.

It's definitely fair-weather cycling for me these days - I've had my fill of cold winter spills and icy soakings, and I don't want any more of them.

It's definitely been a wake up call today. I have been lucky to never have to commute on my bikes - it's always been for leisure/competition. @Stephen Piper - yes please be careful, as someone else pointed out is that if the temperature doesn't go much above freezing and its continuing to shower every so often, then the ice builds up and is unable to melt unless we have a heatwave one day.

I have even changed my exercise plan to incorporate more running and spin classes (as I don't pay for them :angel:)

Lonestar

Veteran
Well I commute by bike and it's not a problem generally...Although today is the aniversary of my spill down Stratford High Street.The left hand pedal broke off from the crank.Since then I've done 181 cycle commutes.

That spill was as bad as I had ever encounrtered although ice spills can be a bit uncontrollerble.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

johnnyb47

Guru
The main and most important thing is your ok ,and not to badly hurt. Cycling has been off the menu for a good week for me with this bad weather of late. I did manage a ride on Sunday when the weather was a little warmer but even then, I felt the bike losing grip in some parts of the lanes.
Glad your ok Charlotte..

Lonestar

Veteran
The main and most important thing is your ok ,and not to badly hurt. Cycling has been off the menu for a good week for me with this bad weather of late. I did manage a ride on Sunday when the weather was a little warmer but even then, I felt the bike losing grip in some parts of the lanes.
Glad your ok Charlotte..

Yeah we've got it easy in London compared to you guys and gals.

12boy

Guru
You don't have to travel that far, I'm sure in New York too.

I'm guessing there aren't many hipsters in rural Wyoming.

Edit: apologies - I see that Casper is not "rural" but the second biggest city in Wyoming. I bet it does have hipsters :smile:
We had a couple hipsters once but they were shot and eaten. (Joshing) Actually do have some, but quite a few nonhipsters like singles and fixies. We have excellent single track 30 minutes away on the mountain immediately behind Casper and there are some folks who enjoy riding fixed on those trails, too.

pjd57

Veteran
Came off on a ice a few weeks back. Only about 15 yards from my front door. Sore , but nothing broken ,I think.
My wrist is still sore at times.

Had a week in the sun last week and hopefully will be out tomorrow for a few miles, even if I have to walk out to the bus routes before getting on my bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Even if the temperature looks okay you can get localised cold spots in hollows and particular spots. If you can waiting a little later in the day till the sun has hit the lanes helps a lot. Beware of bridges (air underneath makes it colder than other bits of road). Pay attention to where a road takes drainage. If on a frosty country lane then riding the central gravel makes for a stretch can get you past it. Avoid riding on the edge of a road. Black ice can be seen if you have low mounted lights. If the road goes quiet underneath your wheels do not steer, do not brake and do not make any sudden manoeuvres. Never be afraid to either get off and walk for a bit or turn round. Off road can be a good alternative this time of year.

Heal well.

Last edited:

grellboy

Über Member
Evening. I live in Norfolk now but always considered Kent my home having grown up there. Last Autumn/winter my mum was in hospital down there and I used to drive down to see her but would always chuck my bike in the back, as visiting hours were not til two o clock and I used to get a few hours in before each visit on the relatively steep hills near Sevenoaks. Anyway one frosty morning I arrived down there and got on my bike. I hadn't gone two miles before an oncoming car caused me to swerve onto a patch of frost. Went down hard on my head immediately. I hardly ever wear a helmet but that day I did and am still grateful to this day that I did, coz without it I would undoubtedly have ended up in the same hospital as my mum! On reflection, I realised that the frost had made riding conditions completely impossible for anything resembling a safe ride that day but because I had already made my mind up that I was riding then that was that! I was gonna chance it regardless of the conditions. Initially i blamed my poor choice that day on the lack of hills in Norfolk: if we had more hills round here like those steep ones in Kent then I wouldn't have felt obliged to ride on such an unsuitable day. Having driven 150 miles, felt the need to make the most of it. On reflection now though, maybe i was just an obsessed moron!

Top Bottom