Well I'm an idiot... >.<

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I manged to pick my way through several miles of patchy black ice to meet my club mates at the cafe rendezvous (Rare Breeds, Woodchurch), only to find out that one of our number had not been so lucky. Still, he was able to carry on and proudly showed us some nasty road rash and a bloody knee, which he dismissed as 'nothing'. Not bad for a 73 year old.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well I manged to pick my way through several miles of patchy black ice to meet my club mates at the cafe rendezvous (Rare Breeds, Woodchurch), only to find out that one of our number had not been so lucky. Still, he was able to carry on and proudly showed us some nasty road rash and a bloody knee, which he dismissed as 'nothing'. Not bad for a 73 year old.
Is he related to Bernard "it was just a little hole in my head" Hinault?

I do the #5 #9 test. If there’s ice all over the car windows, I get one of the Hybrids out, wear all the thermal kit, and ride on the roads that have obviously been treated, it might involve a slightly longer or more convoluted route, and *shock horror* I might actually ride on a road with more traffic on it, than an iced up back road, but traffic beats ice, in a game of ‘cycling rock scissors paper’. I’ve been out in -6 ( at its worst so far this year) and I’m not dead.

david k

Hi
I'm always impressed by you folk who go out voluntarily to ride your bikes on these cold mornings.

I just don't have the toughness I had when I was young, and these days I struggle even to get out of bed to go to work - and I work at home! In fact, sometimes it's so bad I do my first hour or so's work on my laptop while still in bed.

It's definitely fair-weather cycling for me these days - I've had my fill of cold winter spills and icy soakings, and I don't want any more of them.
Funnily enough last two years I've rarely been out in winter when I did lots the years before

I'm doing less cycling due to various reasons although I'm not sure I'll ever do so much winter cycling again

Top Bottom