Well I'm an idiot... >.<

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah cycling in the gym is so boring - so I will definitely get running more.

I am so sad because I really wanted to get my miles in before duathlon season in May, but I will have time come February, should be a little milder then!

D

Deleted member 1258

Yeah I mean, few hours later and my wrist and right elbow are pretty tender, I am suppose to be playing badminton tonight after work!

:hugs: . I was out this morning, the roads by me weren't bad and fog was the main problem, though the roads round Shenton were bad, but I got home without any tarmac kissing episodes.

Johnno260

Veteran
I'm the same I live in Sussex but in the sticks, even early afternoon the shaded roads can still be icy.

My morning rides have gone out the window last few weeks, if there is a hint of ice I don't bother, the past few weeks I have seen so many accidents and too many people not driving to suit the conditions it's just not worth the risk.

It's a frustrating time of year for sure, just be sensible.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Been there, done that, I still reckon during the summer when it's 25 degrees that there 'may still be ice, better slow up' on the corner that took me out. :laugh:
Sounds like you made the right choice calling it a day, glad you weren't badly hurt!

A useful n+1 bike is a good enough mtb, hardtail or non suspension, that you can equip for snow and ice. I have studded tyres but the effort in changing tyres based on the weather is too much for just one day. Better to have a bike setup that you can just grab. Studded tyres are pretty easy to make yourself from cheap mtb tyres with big knobbles. If your other bikes are sporty road machines, you can set this one up as a shopping/ touring/ utility bike or offroader for summer use.

MiK1138

Veteran
Well...I stupidly decided to go out on my bike this morning - I took the Diverge, not the Allez, thinking as its heavier it would be better on the potential icy roads, however, the slick tyres just did not want to know.

I only got a mile down the road when I lost the front end and landed heavily on my right knee and right elbow. I then dusted myself off, thinking it was just a black ice patch - but no....another 500 yards down the road it threw me off again.

I decided to pack it in and call my dad to come get me and the bike. I felt like such an idiot, it wasn't the bike - just my stupid lack of judgment :sad::cursing:
Yeah it doesn't take much to hae you off in those conditions, all i done the other day was shift my weight on the saddle and the back wheel washed out. OUCH. hope you and bike are all good

12boy

Guru
Schwalbe 700 c studded tires work well for smooth ice although they are at least 32mm. They don`t help much in snow over a few inches or bumpy frozen messes on the side of the road. If pumped up they aren't too bad on dry and the replaceable carbide studs last a long time. However, when you stop and put your foot down, unless you have some kind of snow cleats you can slip on the ice and fall down anyway. A plus to studded tires and the slip on snow cleats is it is a lot more work so you will get a good workout with a shorter ride. Some like to set up a single speed steel beater bike with a low gear inch, say 63 gear inches, and pull that out for that sort of riding. That way, the salt and crap on the road will not trash your expensive bike.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Glad your ok, We tend to stay of all side roads this time of year, we are lucky we have some nice main roads around here that are not to busy. Looking forward to the weekend as it's supposed to warm up a bit, I know it's hard indoor training, but sometimes you have to do it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Schwalbe 700 c studded tires work well for smooth ice although they are at least 32mm. They don`t help much in snow over a few inches or bumpy frozen messes on the side of the road. If pumped up they aren't too bad on dry and the replaceable carbide studs last a long time. However, when you stop and put your foot down, unless you have some kind of snow cleats you can slip on the ice and fall down anyway. A plus to studded tires and the slip on snow cleats is it is a lot more work so you will get a good workout with a shorter ride. Some like to set up a single speed steel beater bike with a low gear inch, say 63 gear inches, and pull that out for that sort of riding. That way, the salt and crap on the road will not trash your expensive bike.
The 'single speed steel beater' bike is often peoples 'pride and joy' this side of the pond. :laugh:

The 'single speed steel beater' bike is often peoples 'pride and joy' this side of the pond. :laugh:
You don't have to travel that far, I'm sure in New York too.

I'm guessing there aren't many hipsters in rural Wyoming.

Edit: apologies - I see that Casper is not "rural" but the second biggest city in Wyoming. I bet it does have hipsters :smile:

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
A useful n+1 bike is a good enough mtb, hardtail or non suspension, that you can equip for snow and ice. I have studded tyres but the effort in changing tyres based on the weather is too much for just one day. Better to have a bike setup that you can just grab.

I had almost pulled the trigger on a Fat Bike for this very reason. CRC had one down to £450 a few weeks back. Although I could've done with it last week, I just couldn't justify the cost but I'm not so sure I could resist such temptation again!

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
When I was a student I remember paying about £100 for a 10 speed Peugeot racer (1985) - that was a great bike. I rode it to the shops on a icy day and fell over 3 times in the ice (lost the front wheel in all cases). I gave up after that and walked home. I wonder what would happen if one was using clip-less pedals and that happened ? That could be nasty.

Top Bottom