What a crazy world we live in!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just heard on the Welsh news that Gareth Bale is going to play football in China for ...........£1 million A WEEK!!! What the hell does he do to deserve that much? Kick a ball about ! I think all professional footballers are a bunch of hypocrites and greedy b***** ds and that is why I never watch league football anymore. Now, I am prepared for some of you about your excuses of entertainment and other pointless reasons. It doesn't detract from the fact that we live in a two speed world where real working people do the hard work and others just cream it. Rant over and now feel free to shoot me down.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Isn't it really just money envy?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yes, it's an obscene and ridiculous amount of money and bears little comparison with any contribution to society as a whole*

But I wouldn't turn it down and I doubt you'd find many who would.

* - Although there is the issue of the amount of tax paid on such earnings, where it is collected.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's @pplpilot's opinion of football from October 2017.

It is a vile 'sport' and it is entirely run, managed and played by overpaid prima donnas. I dislike its blokish supporters. I dislike the constant endless analysis when one of the spoilt little diddums manages to score and suddenly becomes an 'ingerlan hero'. I dislike the playacting and how they are allowed to get away with it. I dislike the fact I have to suffer hours of office banter and bullshite every Monday morning. I dislike the questionable owners of clubs. I dislike the constant moaning from supporters about the cost of tickets. I dislike 1966 is rolled out at every opportunity, it was 50 years ago! 50!. I dislike the fact people automatically assume you follow a team then cut you off because you say you don't follow one. I dislike those people who don't like wendyball but like the 'world cup'. I dislike children looking up to wendyballers as some sort of role models. I could go on.

... hmm yep, I actually think I hate it. :okay:

Magnificent!

Dave7

Legendary Member
@gavroche I agree that its an obscene amount but that doesn't make them greedy. If someone offered me a million a week to do something I loved I would take it.
The whole system (Sky etc) is sh*t but you cant blame the players for accepting it.
I believe it will soon implode. I really enjoy the footy but would like to see it go back to its roots.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
@gavroche I agree that its an obscene amount but that doesn't make them greedy. If someone offered me a million a week to do something I loved I would take it.
The whole system (Sky etc) is sh*t but you cant blame the players for accepting it.
I believe it will soon implode. I really enjoy the footy but would like to see it go back to its roots.
The sooner it implodes the better.

Sharky

Guru
It's all our fault. Since WW2, we have all been buying cheap "Made in China" etc goods, so now China is now cash rich and can afford to spend on what they like.

The sooner it implodes the better.

It won't, because it is a great team game that mixes individual skills, teamwork and tactical nous. It is not just played by these millionaires but by millions, from young kids in the parks and in school teams, old blokes in pub teams and thousands of local town/village clubs.

Perhaps there might be some drop-off in the obscene amounts at the top but it will still be the world's top spectator and participation sport.

tom73

Guru
A former chairman of Sunderland when asked about the high cost of football shirts said fans are mugs they will pay anything you ask them.
For over 20 years I was one of many who provided FA cover at football. For a number of them I was duty office. At Christmas I use to get given by said club a 6 pack of beer and tin of chocolates. To share round the many members who attended over the year at a min we had to have around 20 per match.
Always thought it was a great thank you for turning out in all weathers week in week out they forgot that with out cover they can't sell tickets ect and make money.

Football long went bad thanks to the money. I've always been a cricket fan sadly the english cricket team went that way long ago with rest quickly catching up.

Drago

Legendary Member
I just heard on the Welsh news that Gareth Bale is going to play football in China for ...........£1 million A WEEK!!! What the hell does he do to deserve that much? Kick a ball about ! I think all professional footballers are a bunch of hypocrites and greedy b***** ds and that is why I never watch league football anymore. Now, I am prepared for some of you about your excuses of entertainment and other pointless reasons. It doesn't detract from the fact that we live in a two speed world where real working people do the hard work and others just cream it. Rant over and now feel free to shoot me down.

It's a strange world indeed where the less useful to the wellbeing and advancement of society you are, the more they will pay you.

Top Bottom