What a crazy world we live in!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tbf to Bale he has been very injury prone the past couple of years, and it would be a struggle for him to keep going in one of the high pressure European leagues. He has had 10 years most football players can only dream of and is unlikely to improve because of his age and injuries.

He has to use his body a long time after he finishes playing and China will clearly be kinder to his body. He is going to take the money and run........ just a bit slower than in the past.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As @tom73 says the joke is on the fans.. If they are prepared to pay all that money for kit, tickets, sky sports etc that's fine, it's none of my business.
I have zero interest in it and just give a quiet chuckle when some bone head footballer wrecks his Lamborghini again or gets banned and claims he can't get the bus to training.

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb
We got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators, we gotta move these color TV's
See the little faggot with the earring and the make up
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire
I shoulda learned to play the guitar
I shoulda learned to play them drums
Look at that mama she got it stickin' in the camera man
We could have some-
And he's up there, what's that?
Hawaiian noises?
Bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Get your money for nothin', get your chicks for free
Listen here
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free
Money for nothin' chicks for free
Money for nothin' get your chicks for free
Money for nothin' and the chicks for free
Money for nothin' and the chicks for free
Look at that, look at that
Money for nothin' chicks for free (I want my, I want my MTV)
Easy, easy money for nothin' (I want my, I want my MTV)
Easy, easy chicks for free (I want my, I want my MTV)
Easy, easy money for nothin' (I want my, I want my MTV)
Chicks for free (I want my, I want my MTV)
That ain't workin'
Money for nothing, chicks for free
Money for nothing, chicks for free

winjim

Smash the cistern
There are plenty of overprivileged upper class establishment elites living off huge piles of inherited wealth, hiding it offshore and dodging their taxes, getting into positions of power and abusing that power selfishly and at our expense. So I'm pleased that a working class bloke from a Cardiff comprehensive is doing alright for himself. More power to him.

Drago

Legendary Member
There are plenty of overprivileged upper class establishment elites living off huge piles of inherited wealth, hiding it offshore and dodging their taxes, getting into positions of power and abusing that power selfishly and at our expense. So I'm pleased that a working class bloke from a Cardiff comprehensive is doing alright for himself. More power to him.

I'm sure every penny of his income is paid in the UK directly to him, and he pays the full and appropriate rate of income tax on the sum he receives. Not.

Last edited:
It won't, because it is a great team game that mixes individual skills, teamwork and tactical nous. It is not just played by these millionaires but by millions, from young kids in the parks and in school teams, old blokes in pub teams and thousands of local town/village clubs.

Perhaps there might be some drop-off in the obscene amounts at the top but it will still be the world's top spectator and participation sport.

I'm intrigued by this thought. After all, football wasn't always the most popular sport, and it still isn't in many places. I'm told (I'm sure there are others with more knowledge) that cycle racing was once a bigger sport in the UK, and the British viewed football as a bit "lowbrow" until 1966 when we apparently won some kind of tournament. Maybe it could turn again and cycling or another sport would begin to grow and take over. It's an interesting idea.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm intrigued by this thought. After all, football wasn't always the most popular sport, and it still isn't in many places. I'm told (I'm sure there are others with more knowledge) that cycle racing was once a bigger sport in the UK, and the British viewed football as a bit "lowbrow" until 1966 when we apparently won some kind of tournament. Maybe it could turn again and cycling or another sport would begin to grow and take over. It's an interesting idea.
I don't know who told you that cycling was a big sport in the UK, but it wasn't. The biggest it has ever been is now, I have been involved for over fifty years and for most of that time we were regarded as geeks and weirdos.

I don't know who told you that cycling was a big sport in the UK, but it wasn't. The biggest it has ever been is now, I have been involved for over fifty years and for most of that time we were regarded as geeks and weirdos.

And we still are. Most of my family think I'm mad to ride a bike, and laugh when I tell them I sometimes wear cycling gear.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
So after 1966 then :okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I hope I'm wrong but it seems like all about the money to me. I believe he was handsomely paid at Real so won't need it, so why choose China :wacko:
Good point! We're hearing that 'they aren't greedy' and 'who wouldn't take it if offered', but he was on something like £350,000 a week at Real Madrid so he'll be now worth many many millions. If he was to play for a top Premiership club he could probably get around £300,000 a week. He's chosen to play in a circus for a Chinese club no one outside of China any many in China have never heard of. All because he saw the pound sign before his eyes!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Good point! We're hearing that 'they aren't greedy' and 'who wouldn't take it if offered', but he was on something like £350,000 a week at Real Madrid so he'll be now worth many many millions. if he was to play for a top Premiership club he could probably get around £300,000 a week. He's chosen to play in a circus for a Chinese club no one outside of China any many in China have never heard of. All because he saw the pound sign before his eyes!
None of us would do anything like that, now would we?

Top Bottom