What a crazy world we live in!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Certainly not as much as a top surgeon or other people with top skills useful to society.
How much work do you think a top surgeon does?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Comparing surgeons to footballers is ludicrous. I have never understood why this is viewed as some kind of reasonable metric.
An often used comparison is the Prime Minister's salary. At just shy of £150k, it's very nice but I wouldn't call it silly money. And considering that retired PMs can make a shedload more from consultancy, speaking engagements etc and that our current PM is a millionaire who has described his second £250k salary as 'chicken feed', I think it's a meaningless comparison which is usually used to try and undermine the public sector.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Teenager in the UK won $2m today by winning a computer game contest.
And there was a report of a 6 year old Korean child's parents buying a huge mansion. Child apparently does YouTube toy reviews and makes north of a million a month
Just because you're not interested in the hoopla of it all (be that football, fortnite or toy reviews) doesn't mean that millions and millions are interested and will pay good money to have that interest met

vickster

Legendary Member
And there was a report of a 6 year old Korean child's parents buying a huge mansion. Child apparently does YouTube toy reviews and makes north of a million a month
Just because you're not interested in the hoopla of it all (be that football, fortnite or toy reviews) doesn't mean that millions and millions are interested and will pay good money to have that interest met
Those millions come from the private sector and not the taxpayer / public purse. There’s the difference between footballers, gamers, YouTube reviewers and surgeons.

Top surgeons in the private sector make significantly more than £100k a year (granted not £1m a week but even in football that was going to be a unique figure)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Assuming that intelligence is at least partly a genetic trait, earnings potential shouldn't be limited to those lucky enough to possess it. We all have different and valuable skills.

That said, I think top level sportspeople certainly do possess a great deal of intelligence.

Top Bottom