What a crazy world we live in!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
....and the deal's off.

Funny thing about people saying 'this person's overpaid', or 'that thing's too expensive'....it might just be different if they had the same money to spend as they saw fit. Yes, they might refuse it, or give it to friends, family, charity....or not. I'd like to be in that position myself, I'd like to make those decisions for myself. Not have them made for me.

Last edited:
....and the deal's off.
D'ya think they read the thread?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not aiming this at you - and I do agree with yoyr two speed world to an extent but... this goes far wider than football doesn't it.

It includes the large majority of high-profile sports, music, film and, more recently, the social media industries etc.

The ironically amusing aspect of this is how large chunks of society despise some highly paid individuals yet are in raptures over others depending on what floats their boat or not.

One of our younger family members rants about over paid footballers yet positively adores the crass (imo) Kardashian mob.
Footballers are mainly working class with few or no academic qualifications, and many of them are even black. That's what upsets many people, upstarts getting above their station in life.

I've never heard anyone moan about how much money Bob Dylan or Amy Winehouse got.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Real still wanted a fee- estimated at £60m...problem is that the Chinese government's transfer tax would double the cost. Hard to feel sorry for Real. Perez did as much as anyone to send transfer fees and wages skyrocketing. And as for Zidane's handling of Bale....about as clever as his encounter with Materazzi. So, now what? He's still on those big wages whether he plays or not. And they need to sell to fund their incoming sales...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No-one gets paid what they're 'worth' - there's no such thing.

It's like when I used to present my parents with a supposedly rare 1922 penny and want to know how much it was worth. 'It's worth what someone else is willing to pay for it,' they said. And they were right. Accusations of hypocrisy and greed are nonsense: the former because accepting vast salaries doesn't conflict with any footballer's espoused values, AFAIK; the latter because all of us get the best paypacket we can command, unless we're like really really weird. Yes, footballers get a lot of money, just like rock gods or movie stars - because they sell a skill in very limited supply and very great demand.

And tho' it may seem 'unfair', the only alternative approach that's been tried ended up with bored, downtrodden, miserable populations with very poor dental care, and cars that could barely get off the forecourt without breaking down. As with Churchill's growl that democracy was 'the worst form of politics - apart from all the others'...capitalism seems at least for now to be the only game in town. And if it means a talented boy from the valleys can swank it among his peers, good luck to him. Let's face it, Bale's wealth pales in comparison with that of many people in this country whose only achievement is having been born. Crazy or what.

colly

Re member eR
I just heard on the Welsh news that Gareth Bale is going to play football in China for ...........£1 million A WEEK!!! What the hell does he do to deserve that much? Kick a ball about ! I think all professional footballers are a bunch of hypocrites and greedy b***** ds and that is why I never watch league football anymore. Now, I am prepared for some of you about your excuses of entertainment and other pointless reasons. It doesn't detract from the fact that we live in a two speed world where real working people do the hard work and others just cream it. Rant over and now feel free to shoot me down.

Are they ?

I don't know why it bothers you that he might get a million a week. Personally I couldn't give a rat's 4rse how much he makes ( I wont say 'earns') If he made, say half a million a week or 10 million a week it would make no difference to me or mine, or you or yours.

I do agree it is an absurd amount of money for what he does but if you had those same skills you could take his place and say...

''It's ok I'll do it for £500 a week because I have enough money already''

Then everyone would be happy.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Are they ?

I don't know why it bothers you that he might get a million a week. Personally I couldn't give a rat's 4rse how much he makes ( I wont say 'earns') If he made, say half a million a week or 10 million a week it would make no difference to me or mine, or you or yours.

I do agree it is an absurd amount of money for what he does but if you had those same skills you could take his place and say...

''It's ok I'll do it for £500 a week because I have enough money already''

Then everyone would be happy.
Why do people always find excuses to justify the absurd, obscene amount of money these guys make for very little work?
Like I said in my title, we live in a crazy world that showers people with limited talents with huge amount of money .

colly

Re member eR
Why do people always find excuses to justify the absurd, obscene amount of money these guys make for very little work?
Like I said in my title, we live in a crazy world that showers people with limited talents with huge amount of money .

I'm not excusing it. I'm just saying I really don't care what anyone else makes. Why single out footballers though.

Naomi Campbell... clothes horse. Net worth over £50 million
Ed Sheeran... a couple of good songs and he is worth £50 million
Steve Coogan... comedian and writer. Net worth £10 million

and so on.

It is crazy I agree but unless you can come up with a way of restricting earnings worldwide then that's just how it will have to be.

I haven't seen anybody justifying it, just explaining it. It's called market forces. Football is just one particularly lucrative part of that market.

old-man-cloud-HD-1079x720.jpg

Top Bottom