What a Store!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
One reason for buying a Brompton, other than I love the bike, it helps my fellow Brits. I would rather my money go there, than China. No offense people from China, but it's the proper order of things.

Nothing wrong with being patriotic and supporting your own country. I try to do the same thing where possible, although with many manufactured goods it's difficult to avoid supporting China - who I do not consider to be any friends of the West. I also have no objection to buying the products of any other country in the English-speaking world either, as it's no coincidence that they speak English but a consequence of history. It's not just a matter of where you do spend your money, but rather where you manage to avoid spending. For example, it's difficult to buy a new British bike as the likes of Raleigh and Dawes are now rebadged imports - so I won't buy them new since they outsourced their production abroad. What I do instead is buy secondhand examples of British-built bikes, and by keeping those on the road, I am NOT spending my money buying new Chinese ones..

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Nothing wrong with being patriotic and supporting your own country. I try to do the same thing where possible, although with many manufactured goods it's difficult to avoid supporting China - who I do not consider to be any friends of the West. I also have no objection to buying the products of any other country in the English-speaking world either, as it's no coincidence that they speak English but a consequence of history. It's not just a matter of where you do spend your money, but rather where you manage to avoid spending. For example, it's difficult to buy a new British bike as the likes of Raleigh and Dawes are now rebadged imports - so I won't buy them new since they outsourced their production abroad. What I do instead is buy secondhand examples of British-built bikes, and by keeping those on the road, I am NOT spending my money buying new Chinese ones..

I agree. As a kid growing up in Canada, I rode Raleigh bikes made in England. Love to get my hands on a restored Raleigh.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I agree. As a kid growing up in Canada, I rode Raleigh bikes made in England. Love to get my hands on a restored Raleigh.

The sad thing is, apart from the more exotic racing models, most cyclists today don't seem to appreciate what good quality machines they are. Seems you can hardly give away some of the more everyday old Raleigh steel bikes, familiarity breeds contempt I suppose. Still, I like them and will continue to own them rather than any modern imported plastic/carbon & aluminium bikes, alongside my equally British 531 Dawes.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

The sad thing is, apart from the more exotic racing models, most cyclists today don't seem to appreciate what good quality machines they are. Seems you can hardly give away some of the more everyday old Raleigh steel bikes, familiarity breeds contempt I suppose. Still, I like them and will continue to own them rather than any modern imported plastic/carbon & aluminium bikes, alongside my equally British 531 Dawes.

I’m with you. I love the classic bikes. The new ones with the slanted top tubes look like mountain bikes that have been on a diet. Just don’t like the style. Well, that’s me.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I regularly spend thousands at CRC...i then check my basket and remove the items.
Ive nearly owned so many nice bikes and components:laugh:

Great shop for just about anything though they seem to be limited brand wise.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. The new ones with the slanted top tubes look like mountain bikes that have been on a diet. Just don’t like the style..

Yes, they are horrible to look at, and almost all modern road frames have adopted that style. There is a degree of practical logic to having a small amount of TT slope on a MTB and maybe even Hybrid frame (not the extreme amounts found now though), for clearance purposes, but absolutely no need whatsoever on a road frame. All that results in is having stupidly long seatposts sticking out of child-sized frames. With a grown adult on board, it looks totally ridiculous.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't a large proportion of bicycle frames manufactured in Taiwan, not China though?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Should be easy enough, even in the States. One of my LBS dealt in Raleigh and Schwinn. Detassel corn all summer, buy a Raleigh. That was the standard practice in my neighborhood. A guy I still know from then still has his, used it for touring until last year, when he bought another.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Should be easy enough, even in the States. One of my LBS dealt in Raleigh and Schwinn. Detassel corn all summer, buy a Raleigh. That was the standard practice in my neighborhood. A guy I still know from then still has his, used it for touring until last year, when he bought another.

I look through the ads on Craigslist every day to find one. There are many classics, but yet to find an English made Raleigh. I'm sure my search will pay off eventually. One thing I am is persistent. ^_^

Top Bottom