What am I doing to cause my rear gears to slip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I've never removed a cassette but have taken quite a few freewheels off over the years. With a freewheel all the mechanism is in the block which screws onto the hub. With a cassette, the freewheel is part of the wheel hub called a freehub. If there is any slippage of the cogs it may mean the pawls in the freehub are slipping as the cogs slide on splines of the freehub.
View attachment 431948
LBS need to sort this as this is usually a problem with old bikes not one as new as yours.
If it is the freehub slipping it could need a new wheel as that would be cheaper than rebuilding with new hub.

Just a small point here, but regarding the above couple of posts and the one quoted.

A freehub takes only moments to change and does not require a new hub.

Remove the axle, remove the cassette, insert a 10mm allen key into the one way clutch (freehub) engage it and unscrew the bolt (which the axle passes through) - hey presto one way clutch in hand.

Gary E

Veteran

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I popped to the shop and they made some adjustments but only using the barrel adjusters and it did seem ok on the ride back from the shop but I guess I will know after a few commutes but as I don't ride every day that will be later in the week. If it happens again I will need to be more forceful with the store.

nickAKA

Über Member
I popped to the shop and they made some adjustments but only using the barrel adjusters and it did seem ok on the ride back from the shop but I guess I will know after a few commutes but as I don't ride every day that will be later in the week. If it happens again I will need to be more forceful with the store.

It's helpful to have a basic understanding of how the gears work (the sort of stuff you pick up as you go along) to help diagnose common problems so here's my simple take on the rear derailleur (please feel free to correct any errors here, I'm not an authority on this!):

The large spring in the rear mech is in a constant state of pulling the chain toward the smallest sprocket. When you change gear/index down the range to a bigger sprocket, you are tightening the gear cable and it's pulling against the spring, moving the derailleur 'in' and pulling the chain across (toward the wheel hub) onto the next sprocket. The further you go down the gears (to the bigger sprockets) the more tension you are putting on the spring and the cable sometimes needs a bit more 'oomph' to get into the correct position; its a bit of a balancing act, cable vs. spring. Putting some extra tension on the cable can cure the problem of the chain not indexing correctly down the gears, but if you overtighten the cable you'll get the opposite effect and the chain will want to skip the other way, and at the extreme you could 'lose' a gear altogether at the top end (been there, got the t-shirt)
I tend to adjust the barrel a quarter of a turn at a time if I need to, that's all it takes.

No point getting into hi/lo limits here as once set these are generally ok, so don't change those adjusters unless you really need to.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Aaaaaaaarrrgh it seemed ok in the lower gears but now it started happening in higher gears when I start going up gradual hills....3-8 but I couldn't change into one at the front at one point then the chain slipped off, I put it back on and it took more pressure to change into 2 for the rest of the ride. When I got to work I had a look to see anything and while I was changing gear in situ the derailleur now won't go up to 3....

nickAKA

Über Member
Sorry, I think it was slipping at the rear but the chain skipped of the front and it is the front mech that won't change into 3.

Sounds like they've sorted the rear mech & messed up the front... :rolleyes: for no logical reason.

This bike shop - is it a small independant place?

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Sounds like they've sorted the rear mech & messed up the front... :rolleyes: for no logical reason.

This bike shop - is it a small independant place?

They didn't take it into the workshop, they just rode it around outside and fiddled with the barrel adjuster. the front mech seemed fine till the chain skipped off but now it doesn't seem like the front mech has the full movement as the lever has travel left but it needs a lot more force to move it and I don't want to break anything.

nickAKA

Über Member
They didn't take it into the workshop, they just rode it around outside and fiddled with the barrel adjuster. the front mech seemed fine till the chain skipped off but now it doesn't seem like the front mech has the full movement as the lever has travel left but it needs a lot more force to move it and I don't want to break anything.

Are you struggling to get it in the biggest ring or the smallest ring on the crank? Sounds like they've overtightened it (for no good reason if the rear mech was the problem).
Are we talking about Halfords here?

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Are you struggling to get it in the biggest ring or the smallest ring on the crank? Sounds like they've overtightened it (for no good reason if the rear mech was the problem).
Are we talking about Halfords here?

The big ring, it was changing into that ring fine until I got to work, it was changing into the second ring that was the issue during the ride after the chain skipped off. It is an independent store. Sorry I am probably being really vague, I am really not confident with any of this and I was hoping a new bike wouldn't give me as many issues to begin with..

nickAKA

Über Member
The big ring, it was changing into that ring fine until I got to work, it was changing into the second ring that was the issue during the ride after the chain skipped off. It is an independent store. Sorry I am probably being really vague, I am really not confident with any of this and I was hoping a new bike wouldn't give me as many issues to begin with..

Don't be too disheartened, I'd suggest this is the exception rather than the rule. You'll have to take it back to them and give them a chance to put it right, there's a chance something has moved when the chain came off... could be the front mech has rotated slightly out of alignment, but with the best will in the world if you don't know what your looking for you can't be expected to do it yourself.

Get it sorted then it's probably worth starting a new thread to ask for some tips on using your gears 'correctly' - when I took my first proper bike in for it's 6 month (free) sevice, I got a lecture off the mechanic on when & when not to change gear, which as stuck with me ever since. I've subsequently never thrown the chain whilst changing gear, so a bit of tough love worked for me in that respect!

tom73

Guru
Like @nickAKA say's dno't feel bad about it. You can't know all of it at once it sound's fixing / trying to fix one problem has just move it to to a different place. Let them sort it none of this take's away the fact that a new bike should work and really it's not your job to fix it. The time to learn is when they at long last fix your bike. Take it back stay cool but firm

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

So I had a little play with the barrel adjuster and it didn't seem to be doing anything but then the cable didn't seem to be sitting in the shifter properly, I moved it around a bit and it seemed to slot back into place and then the barrel adjust seemed to start making a difference and it seems to be ok now. The ride home takes me near to the bike shop so I might just swing in before they close.

I am tempted to try and mount my helmet cam that I use on the motorbike and point it at the gears to get a better look at what is happening.

Top Bottom