What am I doing to cause my rear gears to slip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Just had it serviced and it is worse than ever....some gears unusable even on relatively small inclines...:sad: I have overspent on bike related stuff this month, will try a new chain after payday.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hi @T675Rich

Whereabouts in Birmingham are you based? I have some free time on my hands. I'm not a mechanical expert but if you're not far away we could meet up. I can work through the basics and observe the problem and perhaps help fix it or tell you what to tell the bike shop what is going on.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Hi @T675Rich

Whereabouts in Birmingham are you based? I have some free time on my hands. I'm not a mechanical expert but if you're not far away we could meet up. I can work through the basics and observe the problem and perhaps help fix it or tell you what to tell the bike shop what is going on.

That is very kind of you to offer, I live in south west Birmingham not far from the old Rover factory. I wouldn't want you to go out of your way though as you are north of Brum. There is a place not far from me called Cycle South Brum and they have a local group ride on a Thursday, normally I can't make it due to childcare but next week is half term and my son is with is grandparents so I am going to try and go and see if someone there can see what is happening. I also have a few maintenance courses booked with them so I can be less of an annoying numpty on here.

If they can't help I may well take you up on your offer but I would come to you to not put you out.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Great idea, I am confident Cycle South Brum will be able to help diagnose and probably fix it. If they can't help we can meet up either at yours or mine (I'm in Lichfield) and we can take it from there.

Do let us know how you get on tomorrow.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I still haven't been on the ride yet but decided to have a go making some minor adjustments and the barell adjusters by the switchers on the handle bars seem to do very little, they feel like they are free spinning..:scratch:

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I managed to get it back to the LBS and they said they think it's possible the cable got crossed in the frame as they have sen that before so they are going to replace the cable totally and see if that sorts it.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I got the bike back and first decent ride with decent (for me) hills looks promising. The guy at the LBS told me that he phoned Cannondale and there was a plastic cable guide where the cables come out of the bottom of the frame, that I think was to stop cables rubbing on the frame, that can cause cables to snag when the bike is under load and they have been contacted by a number of bike mechanics saying it was a problem so they recommended he remove it and put some plastic sheathing on the cables where they would rub. So he has done that and replaced the cables so fingers crossed it's all done.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

Boon 51

Veteran
If the bike has a QR system undo the the QR's and see if it has two cone shaped springs ( one each side) and the cone spring has a pointy end and that should point inwards.

Top Bottom